System problems after new PSU installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxeh

I recently pressed my power button on my desktop PC to find nothing happen..
After some investigation on the net (laptops are lifesavers) I found it was probably the psu..So I went out and bought a new one and fitted it..
I pressed the button, to find it switch on! yay!

But..now when the Boot screen starts up, and it reads out the hard drives, the screen gets covered in horizontal white lines..

So i press delete..to take me to setup, and find it reads:

Primary IDE Master : NONE
Primary IDE Slave: A@O

..not looking good..my SATA drive, and my CD/DVD drives are detected fine..

so i fiddle around..and unplug the C: drive..it all works fine..but i don't have anything to boot to..

so i try again but instead without the D: drive..now I have my main drive..but it reads 'NTLDR not found' instead of 'insert boot disk' like before

I'm really hoping its not corrupt..but I'm guessing thats probably it..I hope someone here can explain the mysterious Failure of my antec PSU and the HDD, as my computer was off at the time, left overnight.. And even more, i really hope someone can help fix this problem!! I don't want to lose over a year of work!! :dead:

Cant wait for your replies..I can tell you anything you need to know about the system if it helps!!

-Sam Pascoe

Hi Im not good bout this but wait, youre saying that you has a S ATA HDD but why you're looking at the PRIMARY IDE? The last day i open my BIOS settings as i remember, theres so called PRIMARY S/ATA Drive in my PC. How about checking the cables instead, as just little failure could cause anything...

Welcome to techspot :)

what kind of system do you have?
unfortunately when some el cheapo PSUs burn out - commonly found in budget systems like emachines, they often take components out with them. Better quality PSUs have circuit protection devices that protect your motherboard, CPU, etc from failure when the PSU breaks.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Well my sata is using a different cable and its not my main drive..I use it mainly for storage or installing unnecessary programs like games.

I put the computer together myself from parts I bought from overclockers.co.uk.. It was an antec neo 480w that went out..And i thought they were good? not cheapo..

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo, an athlon 64x, and a geforce 7800 GTX, 2Gb RAM, With 2 IDE drives and 1 SATA, 1 CD writer, and 1 DVD writer

Oh and the new PSU is a Jeantech Arctic 600w..

Yeah I do use both, but there has been no problem before with any crashes.. And im pretty sure its my primary IDE that has an OS on anyway..

I have Vista installed on D: and XP on C:
..But I dont seem to be able to boot from either..
I hope all is not lost.. is there any way i can recover anything?

You can put the drive in another computer as a slave drive and try to get the data back. Depending on how corrupted it is you may get all of the data, none of the data, or part of the data.Your OS however is likely corrupted to some extent and you will need to reformat and reinstall to get a working system again. The problem with one OS on an SATA and one on an IDE is that if there is crash the SATA OS may over write or corroupt vital files in the IDE OS

Edit: I have also experienced some problens with the vista boot manager that would not allow me to boot to any OS.

Ah i see..that doesnt sound too great!
I'll go get my crap PC in a bit and see what i can conjure out of it!

Is it strange how when i plug both IDE's in the screen comes up with white lines, and the drives arent detected properly, but when seperated they are detected?

There are probably traces data that should be confined to one drive spread across both drives. This can lead to problems since the computer must boot from one drive or the other to work properly and it will try to boot from both drives at once when this happens.

It's a posibility. However the primary master is the mostlikely to be corrupt since most system data is written to it.

Ok..after fiddling about a bit more, i have found that when plugging one drive in, i forgot to change the boot priority to it. Upon doing so, i have found that it is either the C or D drive..But regardless, Xp and Vista now somehow work! This is extremely pleasing..

but now im very confused as to why my half full backup/file storage; E: drive is the one that isnt working! It was understandable when I thought the Main HDD was taken down, But the E drive has no trace of OS or anything! lol..I'm so puzzled..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back