System refuses to power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

samh2360

Hi there i shut down my pc earlier and when i came to switch it back on again it powered up but the monitor was receiving no signal. This is not the first time this has happened although last time medion fixed it for me. Unforrtunately the guarantee is up. it is a medion titanium 8386 intel p4 HT 3.4ghz with 512mb of ram and a nvidia geforce 6610 video card.
Any help would be greatly appreiciated
cheers,
sam

Hello Sam,
"Please Help" is NEVER a good title here. Choose something like "Medion Titanium 8386, No Video"...

Pull the video card out and put it back in. Be careful and take your time. If you can't do this, have a friend or a computer shop do this for you...

How old is the computer? How old are the hard drive and optical drive? What operating system do you have installed? Do you still have the original set of install/bootup disks?

First, we need to determine what might have failed: memory, video graphics, hard drive, power supply, or heat failure of CPU from too much dust and pet hair.

Does anything at all light up when you push the <ON> button? Do you hear any beeps, or other noises? If not, look at the fan blades in the power supply to see if they are turning after you press the <ON> button, or if they only turn 1/4 to 1 turn then quit.
If they are continually turning, then the power supply is good. If they turn one rotation or less, the power supply is bad.
If they are turning continually, then next attempt to boot in SAFE MODE, by repeatedly pressing the <F8> button about once per second as soon as you press the <ON> button. This will usually enable the computer to boot up in SAFE MODE even if the video graphics card is failing.
If it is a memory module that has failed, it mayl not start.
remove one memory module is there is more than one, then try starting. If that doesn't work, try the other memory module.
If it is a hard drive, it might not start.
Do you have a floppy drive in that computer? Can you borrow a floppy disk from somebody who has a Windows 98 or Windows ME boot floppy disk. If so, disconnect the hard drive power cable to see if it will boot to the floppy disc.
If no floppy disk, attempt booting to a Windows CD Disk with the hard drive disconnected.
You may need to go to the BIOS to change the boot order, but that is difficult to do when it won't boot.

Do what you can, from the above list, and get back to us with more details about the configuration, and what does or does not happen when you attempt to turn it on.

hi there
sorry about the title.
its windows xp sp2 and i do have the disks. The computer is 3 years and 1 month old with a pioneer dvd rw drive and a dvd rom. Motherboard = msi ms7091. I tried to switch it on again and now theres no power it going to it at all i just get a weird popping sound when i insert the power cable.
cheers,
sam

That popping sound is typical of a failed power supply. A replacement will be $40 or $50.
You can buy a power supply tester for about $12 at a computer store, or online at www.outpost.com, www.cyberguys.com, www.newegg.com, and so on.
Or you can just replace it temporarily with one from another computer that you know works.
If that makes your Medion work, then you are on your way to recovery.
The Medion doesn't have the best power supply.
Look for an FSP group, Sparkle, Antec, Coolermaster, or look at the long list of information on power supplies on this forum.

thanks for the advice. the computer was getting the no signal screen before psu popped so i reseted the cmos and that didnt work so i left it and the i went to swich it on and no power at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back