System restarts when plugging in headphones or speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hey fellas,

This happens on WAY to many cases I come across. Almost every case from Codgen seems to have this issue, as well as it has happened a couple times on my own case from A-Top.

When you go to plug in a headset or speakers, as soon as the metal from the stereo plug touches the metal from the FRONT audio jack, the PC instantly restarts.
It's obviously a power issues, bad ground, whatever. There is no BSOD or anything like that. Just instantly restarts. It bugs the heck out of me cause I'd really like to use these front jacks. It doesn't happen on rear jacks.

Anybody else have this happen on their case? I'd like to know if there's anything I can do about it. Perhaps add something nonconductive between the jack and case? Or put a resistor somewhere? Why would plugging in a headset cause a reboot? I'm no electrical engineer. If it's a ground issue, can I change the case in some way to stop this?

thx

You know, another thing that is odd about this issue is that, as far as the case is concerned, I can "zap" it all day long and never get a restart. That is, if I have static buildup and touch the metal somewhere and get zapped, it doesn't ever restart. But only through the audio jack. So this obviously limits it to the audio subsystem.

Of course, half of it is just cheap cases, but still, there must be something that can be done.

How about a small foam cutout just slightly smaller than the sound jack interface placed between the interface and the case itself...

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back