System Restore error on Windows Vista (fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartera

I have had a problem with windows vista coming up with an error and not starting up. I have figured out how to fix this and since it has been appearing on forums i thought it would be a good idea to put a fix for it here.
If you have this problem with system restore coming up with this message:

There was an unexpected error

The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect
(0x8007007B)
System restore will now close

Don't panic, check on your computer if you have two hard drives (partitioned into 2) one default named as Partition 1 and the other should be named as Recovery. Go to start click on Computer then click system properties along the toolbar. Then go to system protection and look under the heading system restore points, uncheck the Recovery drive and check partition one (the hard drive which your OS is stored on) Then system restore will work properly and all you have to do is create your restore point from the same screen.

I couldn't find any other fixes on the internet so i hope this comes in useful,
Regards
Alastair

Is this with an OEM disc and install, or a branded computer which has VISTA installed on a hidden partition, with recovery disc(s) supplied?

raybay said:
Is this with an OEM disc and install, or a branded computer which has VISTA installed on a hidden partition, with recovery disc(s) supplied?

It is a branded computer, with a legitimate version of vista installed. It is not a hidden partition, the partition is visible in My computer and labelled as recovery, although there is only one hard drive in the computer. The hard drive has been split, absolutely no idea why and sorry i don't quite understand what a OEM disk and install is? I think what you mean is the install disk for vista which i do have but that could not repair system restore because the repairs are based on the system restore software.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back