"System Restore" nonfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I encountered a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen a few days ago. The system (Windows XP_SP2) seemed to recover after rebooting in safe mode and uninstalling the HP scanner software I was using prior to the problem. When I tried to restore the system to a previous date I learned that Windows can no longer do this (using any date). Any idea as to how I can regain this function?

The Windows system restore utility does not always succeed. If you remove a program since a previous restore point, it will fail. You removed the HP scanner program which is why system restore failed.

almcneil,
I should've said that I tried multiple restore points before I unloaded the HP scanner software with the same result. The Windows blue screen actually recommended removing or disabling any new hardware or software (the HP scanner software/hardware wasn't new but it hadn't been used in a long time...it was in use when the crash occurred).

Your best shot is to but that hard drive in another computer as a slave so you can save any important data, then use your recovery disc to reinstall everything... or step by step fix your current via BIOS, Chipset, and other downloads, followed by reinstalling all the softwear that is now there.
There is seldom any kind of quick fix. It takes us about 11 hours to totally rehabilitate such a hard drive mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back