System Shock 3 is now being developed by Tencent

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Developer OtherSide Entertainment is no longer working on System Shock 3 but as it turns out, it’s not the end of the road for the sequel or the franchise. The bigger question at this point is whether or not Tencent will be able to bottle the formula that made the franchise so special to begin with - fear.

A true sequel to System Shock 2, existence of the third installment was confirmed way back in 2015 courtesy of OtherSide Entertainment. We got a teaser in early 2019 and a pre-alpha trailer several months later but by February of this year, word around the water cooler was that the entire team working on the project had been let go.

This left the project in a state of limbo for months but it appears this tale may have a happy ending after all.

OtherSide Entertainment, in confirming that it was no longer working on the game, said Chinese conglomerate Tencent will be taking over the franchise moving forward.

OtherSide noted that as a smaller indie studio, it had been challenging for them to carry the project on their own. The dev said it believes Tencent’s deep capabilities and expertise as a leading video game company will bring the franchise to new heights.

It is unclear if Tencent will pick up the project where OtherSide left off or start fresh on its own interpretation.

Also worth noting is Nightdive Studios’ involvement. A rep for the video game company told PC Gamer that OtherSide licensed certain rights for the System Shock franchise from them to make sequels and that those rights have now been transferred to Tencent. “Nothing about that transfer in any way impacts our ownership,” the spokesperson added.

Permalink to story.

Dnf lovely made .ss1 2 lovely made. no more to say... if we see dnf 2 or wse. it would have a game engine that beats all other oldes but goddies.

I just hope to God it's better than System Shock 2.

I got System Shock 2 for free, played for a half hour and put it down. Killing enemies just wasn't fun or exciting.

Meanwhile, Bioshock and Fallout are - hopefully System Shock 3 will play more like that.

I just hope to God it's better than System Shock 2.

I got System Shock 2 for free, played for a half hour and put it down. Killing enemies just wasn't fun or exciting.

Meanwhile, Bioshock and Fallout are - hopefully System Shock 3 will play more like that.

System Shock 2 was a different kind of game. It's a space/scifi survival horror game, not an action scifi game.

True, but "boredom" is still spelled the same.

Exactly.

You can make ANYTHING exciting if you do it right.

System Shock 2 wasn't exciting and I was extremely bored with what I thought would be a good game.

The Gold Standard back them was Quake 2. Quake 2 was fun to play, fun to kill enemies and made you want to continue playing. SS2 was built on Q2's engine in fact. Meanwhile, I actually enjoyed Kingpin: Life of Crime - another Q2 engine game more because it was exciting.

System Shock 3 needs to be so good and fun to play that it actually entices you to play the previous games - just like Fallout 4 would for a newcomer.

Survival Horror doesn't need to be boring.

Exactly.

You can make ANYTHING exciting if you do it right.

System Shock 2 wasn't exciting and I was extremely bored with what I thought would be a good game.

The Gold Standard back them was Quake 2. Quake 2 was fun to play, fun to kill enemies and made you want to continue playing. SS2 was built on Q2's engine in fact. Meanwhile, I actually enjoyed Kingpin: Life of Crime - another Q2 engine game more because it was exciting.

System Shock 3 needs to be so good and fun to play that it actually entices you to play the previous games - just like Fallout 4 would for a newcomer.

Survival Horror doesn't need to be boring.
I will say this. Honestly, System Shock 2 is THE most overrated game in history.
Not a bad game, just way overrated.

Back