System Shuts down, and strange noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottish

Hi this problem only started today. Whenever I try to load a game ( not tried anything else yet) the system shuts down. I get a flicker of the blue screen. Then reboots, but takes ages, and a strange sort wirlling noise coming from drive.

Also get this message in windows :

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF9DDCDE BCP3 : F346E8D4 BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

any ideas as this is'nt my computer and worried I may ahve busted it.

What Game, what operating system, what video card , how much memory, and what type PSU (Power supply) do you have in this box.

I have seen a computer reboot on loading some games due to many different problems... mostly related to graphic card drivers

The game was Championship Manager, but since I've tried a few ( deus ex, AOM ) with the same results.

OS - XP.

Video Card - 64mb, Legacy Dedicated ( I think ) :confused:

Memory ( is that RAM ?? ) IF SO 256MB ddr-sd

PSU - erm, not sure what this means?? tis plugged in.

Sorry if this is of no use, I'm not very clued up on Computer terms. Also would a game malfuction be able to aftect the comp so as it makes that strange noise?

Where is the noise coming from is the real question and does it only happen when it crashes and reboots?

the first thing i would check is updated video drivers....

Is this an OEM computer. ex hp,dell, compaq... typically they have builtin video which can cause problems running games.

urbandragon said:
Where is the noise coming from is the real question and does it only happen when it crashes and reboots?

the first thing i would check is updated video drivers....

Is this an OEM computer. ex hp,dell, compaq... typically they have builtin video which can cause problems running games.

Tis an HP, and the noise is only apparant on boot up. It seems to come from the drive area, like a sort whirrling, noise.

AH.. that may be the CD-ROM especially if you have a cd in there and it is set as one of the boot devices...

You may not notice it at other times.

Then your problem may be the computer in general... it has been known that HP can put small very inadaquate power supplies in their systems... i have seen one with as little as a 70 watt power supply.

And overall they are not the greatest for playing games... low memory, celeron processors, onboard "shared" video card memory....

Does your problem happen when not trying to play games...

If you are using the CD, as you play the game, then I think it is because you have such a smalll amount of RAM, the game has to keep going back, to the CD, to load the files it needs to continue the next phase of the game. The error may be a glitch with your memory, as it tries to load from the CD, and keep the regular files that it needs to run the game. Add more memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back