System unstable since upgrade to a 3200+ AthlonXP (GAH someone help please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a a7n8x deluxe, with 1 gig of ram and a 9700 all in wonder pro, im running xp pro with service pack 2. Yesterday i upgraded from a athlon xp 2700 to a barton 3200. Now my computer at random times will give me a blue screen and then immediately crash. when it crashes it is ungodly slow to load immediately after. if i leave the computer off for a bit it goes back to normal. Anny sugesstions?
- gabe

- Please use proper thread titles
Didou

Update

I dont think it is ovferheating since it just crashed at 50c Im getting frustrated. Remember office space? Yeah well a computer not a copier.

Well we need more information about your setup. Which revision of the board is it ? Which brand/type of Ram is it ? PC2700 ? PC3200 ? DualChannel tested ? What's the power of your PSU ? Which BIOS version are you using ?

Also, are you running a boxed version of the CPU (the one sold in AMD box with a fan & 3 year warranty) ? There have been some 2500+ chips rebadged as 3200+ parts circulating in the OEM circuit. See if the chip works fine at 2500+ speeds ( 11x 166mhz -> 1826mhz ). :blackeye:

hrmm

Actually it is an OEM... But Cpu-z detects it as a barton 3200+. I dunno, im not too smart about this stuff. But i own a gun, if it is a bullshit chip

CPU-Z & other such programs can be fooled quite easilly I'm afraid. The CPU does not contain a static identification string which never changes regardless. The BIOS looks in its identifiation string "database" & the CPU closest to what you are running is what will be displayed. If you run your CPU at 11x166mhz it will display it as a 2500+, if you lower it to 11x133mhz it will display it as a 1700+, etc.

It only displays 3200+ because it is an AthlonXP with 512kb of cache running at 2.2GHz with a 200mhz FSB, that's it. Nothing actually proves it is a genuine 3200+.

If possible, it might be worth removing the chip & taking a picture of the upper part, that you can see the different bridges on the surface (to eventually detect extra soldering work) & you can also see the identification tag near the side of the chip. I don't know if that's possible.

well that sucks

i dunno if it wasnt the right chip, i would think it would either overheat, or if i ran it at a much lower setting it would run fine, neither is the case. I updated my bios that didnt help either. God damn i hate freakin computers.

For what its worth ( Please read)

I took out the chip and its not cracked at all. I dont havea good digital camera at home right now, but what strikes me is that the proc is green. Which is wierd cause all others ive seen are brown, is this a bogus chip? Do i have to start a directron.com boycott? BAH! or am i just wierded out?

Here's an example of a counterfeit identification tag.

IMG0007272.jpg

You can see the letters are not properly aligned & aren't the same sizes.

Well

The tab looks completely genuine. according to that pic. the letters are the same and aligned, but the actualy chip piece is bigger like older chips and the color of the background is green not brown

Another thing you can try (it actually worked for me) is setting the onboard jumper to 200 instead of 266/333/400. It sounds like it would force your CPU to lower it speed to 11x100 & it will at first. Once you re-power the system, go in the BIOS & set the FSB back to 200mhz (400).

It's a wierd workaround but it works for this specific combination A7N8X Deluxe / 3200+ / DualChannel PC3200.

You should really check with the board manufacturer and see if the bios you have supports the 3200+ You might just need to flash the bios to a newer version...if they've updated it for your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back