System will not power up after adding RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP media center - m1170n

worked just fine until i went to upgrade the memory. i installed the memory and hooked up all of the cables and noticed the light on the power supply was flashing. This was happening before even trying to power on the system. Tried to power up anyhow and nothing. Removed new RAM and replaced old and same thing.

i have narrowed the problem to the power supply and the MB. When i remove the ATX connector from the MB i get a solid green light. But as soon as i plug in the ATX connector the green power supply light starts flashing and making a faint noise.

Wouold this be a bad power supply or MB????

thanks
chris

If you short the green wire to any black one with a piece of spare wire, the power supply should run, if not its the psu that's the problem.

Also, you said you get a faint noise, can you describe it and possibly figure out exactly where its coming from?

ok i will try that.

What happens is with the ATX connector plugged in and power to the power supply.....the green light on the power supply flashes....this is what is making the noise. As the green light flashes the noise pulsates with it. i want to say it sounds like static, i guess.....even after removing the power the green light will flash and make that noise. i have to remove the ATX connecotr from the board then plug in power from the wall then i get the solid green light. Then i disconnect and the green light will go out completely. Wierd!! Any input is appreciated. Hope this helps.

thanks

Check the motherboard for any damaged components, in particular, look at the larger can type capacitors to see if any have burst or had the top dome up.

Another thing i would do, is check with a finger to see if any components are getting unduly hot. But do this at your own risk, I've worked for many years in the electronics industry and have plenty of experience. Outside of the psu there are no dangerous voltages unless the psu has a severe fault.

Thanks for the info Rik. It appears to be the board somewhere. Although i didnt smell any fried components. Shorting the pins worked, the power supply appears to be good. I assume that the DIMM slot may be bad.

FYI: As for tedster, memory was identical. If you do not have any helpful advise other than pointing people to that link and telling them to RTFM maybe you should not post. RTFM does not always help that is why there are boards.

shemoryc said:
Thanks for the info Rik. It appears to be the board somewhere. Although i didnt smell any fried components. Shorting the pins worked, the power supply appears to be good. I assume that the DIMM slot may be bad.

FYI: As for tedster, memory was identical. If you do not have any helpful advise other than pointing people to that link and telling them to RTFM maybe you should not post. RTFM does not always help that is why there are boards.
then they should say so.
RTFM's cure 90% of problems.

When all else fails.... read the instructions..... and the FAQs

shemoryc said:

When you installed new memory, did you install it in a previously unused slot? It might be metallic debris could have been present and shorted something out when the new Module pushed it into contact with the pins in the socket. It is always a good idea to blow out a previously unused slot before installing a module in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back