"System will restart in 60 seconds"

Status
Not open for further replies.

clothespinguy

What started out possibly as a virus infection is still happening even though all viruses/spyware/adware are gone. What happens:

I get this message that says "The system process system32\services.exe has terminated unexpectedly and the system will now restart" and it has a 60 second countdown.

I've flashed the BIOS, updated all my drivers, messed with my services in computer management...NOTHING. My system still keeps restarting and it's driving me nuts.

Not sure if this matters...but I've noticed I don't get the restart countdown when my computer is busy doing things like defragging, uploading to the net, virus scanning, rendering video, or anything like that. But it does tend to restart a lot when I'm surfing the net, working in Word or editing video, listening to MP3's, or just sitting there idle.

When I had this problem a couple of years ago, it was a virus, undetected for many out of date antivirus programs, and even if I try to update (on my case) antivirus programs crashes. Solution: reformat HDD and install Antivirus update right away after taking out the Windows CD.

There is also a "Stop" command you can do but I don't remember it. When you get that message, you can go to the cmd promt and type something like NT STOP SHUTDOWN and it will not shutdown. But again, I don't remember, try using AVG antivirus, they have a great free one. This is indeed virus related but repairable so you won't have to reformat....

stop cmd

I think you're talking about the 'shutdown -a' command...it does stop it from shutting down, but at the end of the countdown the system just stops responding so that trick isn't helping me. Where can I get this AVG anti-virus software?

Temporairily, you can Click Start -> Run and type "shutdown -a". Without the quotes.
This will stop that message. Most likely it is virus/spyware/etc. Make sure you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP plus any updates.
AntiVirus software: Avast or AVG.
AntiSpyware Software: Spybot or Adaware

Also I was on Microsofts site today and here is some new software from them to check for older viruses...here is what they say....This tool checks your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps to remove the infection if it is found. Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

One other thing I just remembered....when you do a virus scan, turn OFF your "System Restore" in device manager and scan your computer in BOTH safe mode and normal mode, DO NOT turn restore back on until you have ALL viruses killed....This is very true for the Blaster and Sasser type viruses...good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back