'Sytem Error' Triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

"System Error" Triangle

I know everyone gets one, the yellow triangular system tray icon, and i have it now !(muwahaaaa)
It disappears every time i touch it, the usual. but, whenever i start up my computer it goes all weird on me, and says " windows could not start properly".
i have xp, with avast antivirus, ad-aware 2007 and hyjackthis.

i also used to have this bootskin program which changed the loading screen, not login, or the bios screen, the one in between.but i un-installed it, so why is it still working... it's made by stardock so... what do you expect.
cheers,
Habylab

Posted in wrong section last time, but have been experiencing random "windows could not start" black screens , and a high pitch noise on boot-up. i also un-installed this program: Bootskin, but still appears instead of the xp loading screen.
Here's my hijackthis log:

Threads merged.

I can`t see anything nasty in your HJT log. However, you have not renamed HijackThis.exe as per the instructions I gave you.

It also appears you have Bitdefender and Avast running at the same time. This is not recommended, will slow your system down and can cause serious conflicts. I suggest you uninstall one AV programme.

Please post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

i've done it now, ok.
and that's another problem, bitdefender wouldn't uninstall, so i deleted it from program file, and the start menu, but it's still there... according to add/remove programs.
any ideas about how to get rid of bootskin for good?

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your computer.

Uninstall one antivirus programme and let us know if that helps.

ok read post above about antivirus prob

done, new hijackthis log attached
Bootskin?any ideas yet?

You still haven`t rename HijackThis.exe. It is important that you do as some malware can hide from HijackThis.exe.

You`re also running HJT from the wrong directory. Please read this thread HERE and post a fresh HJT log.

I`ll then try and help you to get rid of Bitdefender and the Stardock programme.

Edit: Look HERE, for info on how to uninstall Bitdefender.

Forget about bootskin, the stardock program, but remember bitdefender, and starforce, cd protection system, which i hate.

Your HJT log is still clean. Please check the edit in my post above for uninstalling Bitdefender.

After you`ve done that, please let us know if you`re still having problems.

thank you immensely, you have helped me so much, should i post new hjt log, to make sure?
also, does ad-aware find different things, that Avast won't?
and does avg antispyware do anything different from Avast or ad-aware?
thanks again

Ad-Aware and AVG Antispyware are antispyware programmes, rather than anivirus programmes. They will find different things to Avast.

See below for a list of recommended programmes.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

Please feel free to post a fresh HJT log if you want.

This thread is for the use of Habylab only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

i have out of the above, ccleaner, ad-aware 2007 and avast, but nothing else.... is this safe?i have windows firewall on.
i also have spywareterminator, which is awesome.
Do i need all of the programs in your post above?

Personally, I wouldn`t bother with the Windows firewall. It is too easily disabled by malware. I recommend you install one of the third party firewall programmes above.

I also recommend you consider installing SS&D.

This thread is for the use of Habylab only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

New Log attached, un-installed Spyware terminator, but now have AVG Anti-Spyware.What does SS&D do that AVG anti-spyware doesn't
Thanks.

haven't had a reply yet...

Your HJT log is clean.

SS&D like any other antispyware programme will find and eliminate certain infections. However, no single application will find and eliminate all infections, that`s why I think it`s important to have a selection of antispyware programmes available. SS&D/Ad-Aware se/AVG Antispyware are all compatible with each other and are a very good test of how clean a system is.

Your HJT log is clean.

However, since you appear to keep getting the same problem, I`d like to give your system a thorough check up.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

i have avg antispyware and hjt, but not combofix, because it gave me a virus last time i used it

ok here's 2 logs, avg was pointless found "Trojan.Agent.blc" in a file that doesn't exist, and it keeps appearing every time i scan.
i also have the "preparing to install" problem, so see if you can fix it from that

need help peeps, it's getting on my nerves now!

Your log files are clean.

However, I`m interested in the trojan that AVG found. How can it find a trojan in a file that doesn`t exist? That`s impossible.

Please give details of the file that`s supposed to be infected.

I need to see the AVG Antispyware log. Also, I want you to let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

i've got avg antirootkit, but i'll download panda too. i'll just give you the scan results of the area it is found in: system32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back