Talk about good strategy games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmeniac

whats up guys,
I am one heck of a srategy freak, but cant find enuf ppl who like Commandos by Edios and Ceasar III, Pharaoh or even Star Craft or War craft

intrested ppl can reply :darth: :darth:

"Strategy games" is much broad to define.

Rome: Total War is a strategy game.

So is Commandos II. See what I mean?

I define strategy games into two groups. "Large-scale" and "small-scale".

"Large-scale" being the control of mass ammounts of troops (RTW, MTW, STW, Close Combat, C&C, ect) and "small-scale" being the control of just a handfull (Comamndos series, Desperados, ect)

My favoraite "small-scale" strategy game is Commandos II and my fav "large-scale" strategy game is Medieval: Total War. RTW is ****e :(

How about categorising by real-time and turn-based too?

One could also categorise by pure strategy/tactics, only resource management or hybrids..

And what would you like to talk about? Do you want this thread to be full of posts like "AOE rox!!!", "No, AOE sux!!!!"

well i am a real commandos II freak too, but i lkie Commandos:BCD better bcoz they are much smaller missions. Commandos III is cool i heard but my system wont support it.
Yeah i agree with your classification of Strategy. But unfortunately you will have to tell me more about Medival:Total War

MTW is the greatest large-unit strat game there is.

You control huge authentic medieval armies and the game lets your use real strategys too.

Its an abolute classic and easily comes into the official top 5 games of all time regardless of individual opinion. There's nothing like it out there.

Forget Rome Total War, underneath its good graphics. Nothing :unch:

If you're a Lord of the Rings fan then LotR Battle for Middle Earth is an awesome game.

I have played the game,
and though manyt think the controls are complicate i really loved the game
once you play it for a while, you get the hang of it, then there is no stopping you.

WW II fan

Hi, I'm first of all a WW II amateur student, and a great lover of all WW II games, mainly strategy ones.

Have you tried Axis & Allies?? Excellent game, I always liked the battle strategy part of strategy games and not very much the economy-gathering-resources part. In A&A you don't gather anything, money raises on its own, the more units you support the lower the raising rate is. This levels the ¨I have a bigger army because I click & build faster¨ part of strategy games, which I consider a flaw.
Another variation is that you don't produce units, you make regiments, which as long as they exist (1 unit inside them still lives) and they are located inside the range of a deposit, they regenerate themselves (without cost). They also must not be engaged in combat to regenerate. Oh, and to provide this regenerating ability, deposits range areas must be connected to each other and to the main building, generating a supply line that can be cut if not well defended.

Combat strategy on WW II was very different that the one in Rome-barbarians wars or medieval wars, and so i believe a WW II strategy game should be different. And this one is the most realistic one I've seen so far.

In my opinion, Commandos sucks, WW II commandos tactics were nothing like that, the game is too unrealistic.

In other areas, I used to play Starcraft a lot, great engine, loved the ¨units on high ground kick *** to units on low ground¨ rule, added a lot of realism to tactic, even in a sci-fi game. In my opinion, Warcraft sucks, the IIIrd one worst of them all. Haven't tried the LOTR one (I'm also a Tolkien fan, when the hell are they going to make the Quenta Silmarillion movie???), but promise I will.

And let's not forget one of the real time games pioneers: Dune II, great only for being one of the first.

If anyone reeeally likes tactic & strategy, I recommend reading about the 1940 German invasion of France (absolutely awsome in both items), and the Allied Battle for Anzio and the Montecassino overrun (also great).

An another thing, if you like so much to classify things: All of this games I've mentioned are not really strategy games, but tactic games instead. The only strategy game I remember right now is Civilization.

¨Lo unico que se necesita para que los hombres malvados triunfen es que los hombres buenos no hagan nada¨

(something like ¨The only thing evil men need to achieve triumph is that good men do nothing¨ - don't remember who said it, sorry)

Thanks for the that information. I will surely try to get my hand on Axis & Allies. Sounds like a good game to me. But commandos was the first game of that kind that i played so i am kind of biased towards it. It is really good, if you dont go into real detail of the commando tactics during that point in time.
ANd as far as classification is concerned Star Craft an all games declare themselves as strategy. But well you may be right, because they are more of tactics than strategy.
Thanks once again

Commandos games may not been too realistic but their strategical and sheer amazing detailed graphics make it a really great game.

That said, the tactics you use in the Coamndos games are actually pretty realistic and portray how the real Comamndos in WW2 did their work. Not 100% portray but they do quite a lot.

It is really a good game, and its second part is more realisitic as it actually lets you do mare stuff like Alister Mc Lain movies. the only bad thing about it is that it is too long, it had long missions, its like they could cut it down into smaller missions and group them into operations or campaigns. U know what i mean.

WELL KEEP TALKING EVERYONE

What???

You're welcome, Techmeniac, you posted a great thread.

Ok, guys, let's make some points clear:

1. I DON'T LIKE COMMANDOS BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALISTIC. Other features of the game I take as open to discussion (but not this one).

2. COMMANDOS IT'S NOT REALISTIC. Please, PLEASE don't take yank WW II movies as a reference in realism. They may be fun but they're just hollywood crap. There are plenty of books, encyclopedias, magazines, etc. to research from (I own the History of World War II Encyclopedia, I'm not talking out of my **** here). Commandos wouldn't slit 345 soldier's throats before planting a bomb. In the game, if you want and if you find a nice spot, you can take a shot to the ground and kill the 234 soldiers that will run like lobotomized chickens to the source of the sound. You can also walk around with the spy and give a lethal injection to 123 soldiers before somebody notices something. Also, the soldiers alarm at the sight of dead bodies, but they don't when they notice the absence of every other soldier in the place, and the ground is spotted everywhere with big blood pools. Also, and also and also...

3. True, this games declare themselves as Strategy, but 99% they're not. So, just to annoy people, can you (everybody) define tactic and strategy with your own words?

Sorry, got a little irritated. I'm cool about talking games, but when we talk WW II facts, that tends to happen to me.

Any other good games to chat about? :)

Tycoon games.

If you aren't particularly bothered about the graphics of a strategy game then i'd recommend a game called Chris Sawyer's Locommotion. It is a game where you are in charge of a transport company, the graphics aren't excellent but the game has more character than many other modern strategy games.

well talking about commandos, now that you put it like that it does sound silly and funny a**, but well it was my first game and so i guess i am biased towards it.
Anyways, i can define tactic,
Tactic means a plan or maneuver for attaining a particular goal. And
Strategy means the science and art of using all the forces of a nation to execute approved plans as effectively as possible during peace or war or the
the science and art of military command as applied to the overall planning and conduct of large-scale combat operations. It can also be defined as A plan of action resulting from strategy or intended to accomplish a specific goal.
So you see where i am going with this.

Ok ,ok!

I said ¨with your own words¨...ok, never mind.

So you see? Don't you think that this are tactic games, instead of strategy ones?

I promise I won't keep shouting Commandos's flaws, since you like it. I started playing these games with Dune II, in my x286, and I feel the same way about it.

i do agree that they do sound like tactic games, and thank you for respecting my opinion.
Anyways.... waht other games do you guys play.
like any tycoon games, or sim games etc

Well i enjoy all types of game. But my favourite type of games are tycoon games. Eg Rollercoaster Tycoon and transport tycoon, (in case you didn't know transport tycoon was released 10 years ago)

Remember Constructor?

I've played Rollercoaster Tycoon and some others alike, didn't like them very much, had fun for a day or two, then uninstalled them.

The exception: the one ¨Tycoon¨ type game that I enjoyed a lot was an old game called Constructor, which I had to stop playing after I buyed a new pc a long time ago and the friggin' game presented some incompatibility with newer pcs that made it crash.

It was a very similar game, with the exception that you could beat your opponents not only by better handling your construction business but also by sabotaging the competitor's. Had a lot of fun with it.

Somebody ever played it?

Yes, Tycoon games were a real good addition to the strategy games. I really like Golf Tycoon, you can make your own club and also play golf against the mayor and other imp. people to get more land deals by impressing them.

I'm a StarCraft freak... but my problem is simmilar to your's Techmeniac I cannot find many people playing the game...
I also play Tycoon games which you are all talking about now... my favorite tycoon game would be the old (veeeery old) Transport Tycoon...

I am pleased to know that people still apreciate Star Craft, I always come across people that like War craft and not Star Craft. Imagine War Craft Graphics arent even closer to Star Craft. I also like the Expansion for Star Craft.
Waht parts of Starcraft have you played and how did you start playing.
Thanks for writing

I began playing when I saw my brother playing StarCraft... I also saw his friends playing it, and then I gave it a try... after that I just couldn't let a day go by without me playin' one round... nowadays, I don't play very much, because I cannot find any people playing it, my brother and I sometimes play one or two rounds...
I don't understand the question "What parts do I play?"

I mean Blizzard entertainment came out with almost five versions of the game, I have not played the earlier versions but have played star craft and its expansion SC:Brood War,this is what I meant by different parts.

ok, first i just wanna say that I found this website while looking for a good RTS or TBS. I like reading other peoples inputs about games so i kinda get the idea of them before i even play. I love the entire Heroes of might and magic Set plus Pharaoh and the Caesar series as well as the Zeus series and expansions etc.

However... after reading this site i realized that you guys dont know there is only 2 types of Strategy game classifications.

1) RTS - Real Time Strategy : Any strategy that is continuous and does not require you to have to wait for other people (or computer) to finish there turn before acting again
1.1) Example: A perfect example of a RTS is Warcaft/Starcraft (Warcraft is definitely better ;) )

and

2) TBS - Turn Based Strategy : A strategy game where only one person (or computer) acts at a time causing you (the user) to have to wait any period of time before continuing to play
2.1) Example: TBS games pretty easy to see, Total war series, Heroes of Might and Magic series, Axis and Allys, etc

Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you all.

and for thoughs of you out there who cannot forgive my grammer and spelling, im sorry

Well, hard to argue with you people. Ok, truth of the matter is I can't argue with people who like Warcraft. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of its story but the world editor is better than just about any other one out there. I discoverd awhile back the joy of downloading models to the editor for even more fun. You can call me weird but I even like Age of Empires 2, ah the classic fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back