Task manager and regedit will not run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot run taskmgr or regedit.

I have run Spydot, Adaware, MS Antispyware, adnoware, Norton Antivirus, Antivir in safe mode and finally ran Hijackthis tonight.

I found some postings related to this problem but not a good solution I felt comfortable with. I was able to rename taskmgr.exe to taskmgr.com and can now run it but I still cannot run regedit and want to correct taskmgr.exe.

Unfortunately I have let my daughter use my PC since she graduated from college and she uses AIM a bunch, which I'm guessing may have something to do with getting junk on my PC.

Here is the log file from hijackthis. If someone can tell me what I need to delete to correct the taskmgr problem I would cretainly appreciate it.

It is not letting me post my complete log from HijackThis so here is the beginning. I guess I'll need to send the rest in a second posting.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

hey i had the same problem and didn't even figure out the task manager thing until you mentioned renaming it. my problem was "winupdates" located in program files. Using the taskmanager.com i closed down winupdates.exe and deleted it. i then removed taskmanager.com and taskmanager.exe worked great. To fix the regedit... go down to regedit.com and delete it. It should be running the regedit32.exe! If that doesn't work for you then sorry, that was the problem I had, so hopefully it does!

-Steve

i am having the same problem. but when i go to rename taskmgr it tells me that another program is using it. I am currently having all sorts of troubles with virus's but nothing i do can seem to get rid of them. does anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back