Task Manager closes after .5/1second

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

For some reason, all of a sudden now when I do ctrl+alt+del in WinXP task manager closes super quick. I've done a virus scan and an adaware scan, with norton and adware, both latest versions with latest updates.

Plz help :unch:

Just found out when I tried to do your trick, regedit also closes out!!!

Tried what the link said, did everything, but im not convinced the reg key went threw, you gotta click enter fast to put it in b4 the window closes on that too...

also, this started happening after I set a few options to enable (from prompt me) in Internet Explorer.

Happens to the best of us, but I think you have been hijacked. :rolleyes:
In Safe Mode, run CWShredder, Adaware and Spybot, all with their latest updates.
Then run Hijackthis, also in Safe Mode and no other programs running.
Show us the HJT result if you are not sure that everything is clean.

You have definately been taken under. There is something on there that is doing this, and even though you have run the newest releases of AV and spybot stuff doesn't mean it isn't there. Do as RBS has suggested.

I had the same problem but i got rid of it. I went under safe mode went to run - msconfig 'start up' tab and i just skimmed thru it and disabled anything that sounded like adware or things that where obviously not suppose to be starting up (i found a load of **** my virus scaner and adware scaner didnt find) .. and then on top of that i went and searched for all those files and manualy deleted them form my comuter. make sure you know what ur disabling and delete b4 u do it

The solution to your problem

I Have had this same problem with task manager closing when you try to open it. I found out that virus scan, spybot, and ad-adware will not detect the problem. The problem is a worm called W32/bropia.worm gen that you get via email but is a low risk worm that screws up system files. The reason that virus scan does not detact the worm is that system restore is still running. 1) first disable system restore in the control panel. 2) then restart your computer and run virus scan to get rid of the worm. you can restart system restore later. It worked for me.

Its a background process running that does it. Heres waht you do:

Start > Run > Cmd

type in:

tasklist

*gives lists of all background processes running*

taskkill /IM *process name* /f

Ex:
taskkill /IM Msblast.exe /f

Look for any abnormal tasks running.. one of them is whats closing your taskmanager.. I forget the name of the task that was closing mine.

Hope this helps

I had the exact same problem as well. I destroyed a program called kasperantivirus.exe and that did the trick. Disguising viruses as antivirus programs seems to be a popular trend among virus creators.

---agissi--- said:
Its a background process running that does it. Heres waht you do:

Start > Run > Cmd

type in:

tasklist

*gives lists of all background processes running*

taskkill /IM *process name* /f

Ex:
taskkill /IM Msblast.exe /f

Look for any abnormal tasks running.. one of them is whats closing your taskmanager.. I forget the name of the task that was closing mine.

Hope this helps

Genius! mine was called winupdats.exe TERMINATE THAT PROGRAM!!

Thanks

I had a similar problem and I was able to solve the problem , thx for the help.
In my case it was interesting cause the cmd was also not working.

So i had to type tasklist on start -> run , but the problem is it was disapearing as soon as it finishes showing the process list.

So i had to improvise and print screen the list and copy it on paint and was able to read the processes list from tasklist and i was to identify the culprit process in my case it was SCVVHSOT.EXE.

Thanks a lot dude!

hello, I have had this problem but this brogramme will help you

I used it and task manager became run

downloading
TaskManagerFix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back