Task manager lies... or maybe i have hardware problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this one is driving me nuts.

basically my gf was using my laptop yesterday playing music on media player everything is fine. she visits youtube and starts to watch live version of 'back to ussr' and the audio started to get really choppy and the video a tad choppy as well. she then goes back to media player(playing other music from local hard drive) and the choppiness continues.

i start to look into this and and trying a few things i notice something else the cpu is spiking. the really weird part about the cpu is that in task manager nothing is using the cpu. i'm putting an image here to show what it looks like.

i was thinking maybe a virus however i do not see any signs of a virus.

maybe i have hardware problem? maybe flash installed a codec that media player and flash share.

i would be greatful if anyone has any ideas.

i should note the music is getting choppy without regard to cpu usage so i dont know if they are related.

task.jpg

url to image is www.nar9000.com/task.jpg

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That does sound strange.

Lets see if a HJT log will reveal anything.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Please rename HijackThis.exe to Analyze.exe as per the instructions and post a fresh HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

I noticed some processes in the Task Manager you might want to look at:

1. jusched.exe is an updater for Java. It is not desirable to have this running. Do an End Task in the Task Manager, then go to Control Panel> Java> Update tab> click to UNCHECK 'check for updates'.

2. LSSrvc.exe is for the HP Light Scribe Module. Unless you were actively using it when you did the screen shot, it means it started at boot and runs in the background. his is not needed. Using the msconfig utility> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> click to UNCHECK this process> Apply> OK When nag message comes up> check 'do not show this message again'> close on the X. You may have to do this a couple of times.

3. ati2evxx.exe is the AKA "ATI Hotkey Poller" AKA "ATIPOLL". Not a security threat. Likely a useless waste of resources. Safe to disable. Stop the startup in msconfig, also put the Service on Manual or Disable. You have 2 of these in the ask Manager- get rid of them.

4. Hpqwmi.exe, of course, is one of the many, many processes HP slaps on a system. You should not need this to startup and run in the background.

Stopping all startups that aren't needed is square one in improving computer performance.

Maybe Howard will find some malware too!

i'm starting to guess the problem with task manager cpu usage not matching idle time+process might be a bad cpu? anyone else have any ideas on this?

i changed the update speed on the task manager to both slow, fast and pause and was able to reproduce the effect. also to double check on the task manager i downloaded an amd processor monitor applet which shows same as task manager.

on a good note both my gf and i both bought new laptops in the last couple weeks... was hoping to pass this one to my dad if i can get it up to par.

If you`re thinking of passing the laptop onto your dad, maybe a reformat and reinstall will solve the problem.

I didn`t find any malware in your HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back