Taskbar freeze ups! PLEASE help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Du

Hey guys

I have been having problems with random computer freeze ups. When I leave my comp on overnight I ALWAYS find that its frozen in the morning. And when my comp is frozen, people who leaves me messages on AIM, i never recieve due to the freeze up, so its quite frustrating. I re installed windows XP and cleaned out my ENTIRE drive prior to that to start this comp from scratch and I still get the random freeze ups. I did virus checks and nothing came up. Here are my specs...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RAZA
System Manufacturer IBM
System Model 6792NBU
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1794 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date IBM 20KT34AUS, 4/24/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 294.02 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.35 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

and what i usually have running is....

aim.exe
alg.exe
crss.exe
explorer.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (right now I have 4 svchost.exe's running at once for some reason)
System
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe

...sometimes i'll just be browsing the web, or just playing solitaire and it'll randomly lock me out an di have to ctrl+alt+del to get back in. its very frustratign and i cant figure out whats wrong! on my system events the errors I have are...
NetBT (Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.)

W32Time (twice) (Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.)

DCOM (twice) (The server {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Service Control Manager (The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The problem happend with my old machine as well, been happening for a month now and just reinstalled windows xp, with a new HD from scratch 2 days ago and still get the freeze ups. if anyone could help i'd greatly appreciate it! could it be a wireless network thing? i use a linksys wireless to connect to the internet.
any help would be appreciated! thanks guys!

try updating ALL of your device drivers because such freezes are a telltale sign of harware related issues.

Can you tell us the specs of your network settings?
Which router/modem/network interface card, USB or ethernet, do you connect via dialup or cable etc.
Is TCP/IP properly installed and set up?
Go into a command session (Start/Run and type CMD and click OK) and type in ipconfig /all and press enter. This will tell you your settings.

Go here to get Winsockfix and run that, just in case
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative tasks/Event Viewer and see if you have yellow or red signs in Application and/or System log. These will tell you broadly in which direction you must go to solve any problems.

i installed service pack 2 just now and redid the "ipconfig" thing you asked me to and here's what I got....

Primary DNS Suffix: (blank)
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search list: mtwd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet Adapter and Wireless Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: mtwd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description: Instant Wireless PCI Card v2.7
Psyical Address: 00-06-25-1B-AD-71
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 192.168.1.104
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Servers: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 24.153.23.66

Lease Obtained: April 17, 2005 3:21 AM
Lease Expires: April 18, 2005 3:21 AM

...as for the system error stuff, they were posted in my orignal post for the direction I need to go in like you said, but I'm still confused as to wether i need uninstall those error related programs or what. I hope the info I got from iconfig can help you with my problem! thanks a lot!

You may have solved your problem by installing SP2. That includes a slew of adjustments, which probably include the fix your PC needed.
Its problem is network related anyway.
If you have a home network, you might consider setting fixed IPs.
Have a look at my attachment here:
Basics-networking

See how it goes for a day or so. Report back if the problems persist.

thanks for the basic network file realblack! but im confused as to how to actually change my settings to make it like what you have in the attachment. I get my internet feed wirelessly through the other comp which is wired in the basement. How can i set a fixed IP? thanks again for your help!

also should SP2 be enough? if I dont setup fixed IP's and since you say my comp problem is network related, should I wait a day or two to find out if everything is fine after i set up fixed IP's or just leave the IP's alone and just give it a day or two since I just installed sp2?

Ok i figured out how to do fixed IP"s but every IP i try fixing it to never worked :( the only time i could get my internet to work was if i did automatic IP. and i probably will need to set it to fixed IP because I still get the taskbar freeze ups...any suggestions?

Go to the router, or the PC (in the basement) that is used as server in your network.
Change the router/server settings.
If you don't have a router, get one first.
You change PC settings by e.g. right-clicking the network icon in systray, select Status, select Properties, highlight TCP/IP and select Properties again.

Fill in your PC specs under 'User Profile', top left on this page.
Do you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse? Do you use the latest USB and other system drivers?
Could your Power Management settings cause this freeze?

I filled out my specs as much as I could. Good point on USB realblack b/c looking under device manager i see that my USB 2.0 is not installed properly! I dont have the install disk unfortunately! I can't figure out what brand of USB 2.0 this is, as i got this machine very recently. Should I contact my comp. vendor, or is it best if I open up my machine and pull out the USB card and put it back in again so maybe it can try to re install it as I tried doing "search for software automatically" but it can't find the proper usb drivers. This usb 2.0 is the only thing under my device manager that shows any kind of error.....hmmmm

Any available drivers etc. from IBM are available here. Bookmark this for future reference:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=6792nbu

Check the BIOS updates there, to see if your problem is described.
Download the PC Doctor and run that to see if it comes up with anything better.

Alternatively, consider a Cat5 network cable from basement to your PC and bypass the wireless network. The Everest program should tell you if you have an Intel or Via or nVidia or SIS chipset. Get the USB driver from the corresponding website.

You still have not told us what USB devices you have on that PC.

i tried downloading pc doctor but it says it doesnt work on windows XP. i figured out my usb problem as i simply just needed to pull out my usb 2.0 card and put it right back in and now it works fine. here is a problem that has shown up often under my events viewer...

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7022
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
If the service does not restart, click Start, click Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
If the service does not restart, use Services in Control Panel\Administrative Tools to start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

and one more thing, since i couldnt get PC doctor to work, i tried finding other pc diagnostic programs but every single one of them isnt free, they tell you its free but after it says it finds errors on your comp, you have to get buy an unlock key off of them. does anyone know of any free, solid pc diagnostic programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back