Taskbar not responding properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
XP Pro. When more than one program is running and I try to switch between them by clicking on the program on the taskbar, it will not respond (It will not bring that window in front). The taskbar flashes orange. If I click it three times it will finally respond. Not sure why this is happening and I have not been able to figure it out using "tech support" or troubleshooting. One other person on this forum had the same problem and said the problem was with his D Link wireless card configuration utility. I don't even know what that is but I'm pretty sure I don't have one. Any help would be greatly appreciated but please don't get too technical in your response.

this could easily be caused by viruses or malicious software. do you have any protective software installed and running on the computer in question? you can try disabling or removing the card, and shutting down the dlink utility to determine where the problem lies.

Thanks for the reply Zephead. This computer (Dell DXP051) is two weeks old. I have McAfee installed and have updated it regularily. So far I have only run a few programs (Microsoft Office, Outlook 2003 and Internet Explorer are the main ones). I'm sorry but I don't know what a dlink utility is or how to find it. Can you help?

The fact that you have to click 3 times might imply some program or process is not letting go of availible memory quickly enough/ or low Memory . that would involve some investigation to discover, and I am not sure your want to do all of that. Think about it .
In the meantime , when you open more than 1 program , you can switch them by using Alt+Tab. You switch Progrms one at a time by holding down Alt and change for each click of Tab, a small window will show you the next choice.
If you like this shortcut , download TaskSwitcher ( free ) from Microsft this will give you a Thumbnail preveiw of the next box.

when you start the computer, open the task manager by holding down the control, shift, and escape keys, and go to processes. find the processes that are using the most CPU and post them in your reply.

you can disable the d-link card by going to start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager>network adapters right click on said dlink card and select disable. restarty the computer and see if the problem persists.

Thanks all for your replies. Zephead: I tried what you said but under network adaptors I only have an Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection, not a D Link anything. I finally found a tech support page on the D Link website that shows how to use your D Link wireless utility. Using this page, I found out where to disable this feature. (mycouputer>manage>services and applications>services>wireless zero configuration>properties>general) Using this info, I selected "disable" and since then, I have not had the problem. I have no idea why this worked or what the connection is between D Link and taskbar problems. I would never, ever have made that connection if I hadn't read it here on an earlier post. I still don't know what a D Link is and if disabling it will cause me problems down the road. Since my configuration is not wireless, I am hoping there will be no problems. Thanks again for the help.

D-Link is a brand name of a wireless router for setting up a small home/buisness network. I'm not sure why Dell would install drivers for this if you didn't order the computer with a D-Link wireless network card and router.

D-Link

you only need the wireless zero config service when you connect to a wireless network. since you aren't using a wireless connection, disabling this service will have no effect on the computer otherwise.

Everything seems fine now. I don't know why I have this driver installed. I didn't order it since I didn't even know what it was. Disabling it has not caused me any problems so it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back