Taskman shows CPU at 100% - very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My computer often hangs for minutes while the peformance is at 100% CPU usage. I have read the post about how check for malware. I have completed all of the steps:

1. Installed AVG
2. Performed the scan
3. File attached

Any suggestions will ge greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Paul

Taskman will also show you which program exactly is using the CPU. Sort the processes list by CPU usage and see which one is the hog.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler.exe
PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: IeCaptureBho Object - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll (file missing)

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe

O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler.exe
PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

Search your system for the above files and delete all instances found.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let us know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of pearcy only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you! My PC is feeling much better

Hi,

Thank you very much! The spikes have decreased. I am not sure what "normal" is because I previously not monitored the Taskman performance but the computer sure runs better, much better.

Here's a recap of what I did.

1. Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler.exe
PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

***the above executables were not active in taskmanager***
explorer.exe @ 15,484K
svchost.exe @ 8,078K
services.exe @ 3,868K

****these were the top three****

2. Close task manager.

3. Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: IeCaptureBho Object - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll (file missing)6:53 PM 4/10/2007
***Fixed***.

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
**not showing**

O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
**Fixed***
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
**fixed***
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
**fixed**
Click on the fix checked button.
***completed**

4. Close HJT.

5. Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler.exe
PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

Search your system for the above files and delete all instances found.

**Found and deleted the following files:
POWERREG SCHEDULER.EXE-394B0643.PF
C:\WINDOWS\Prefectch
PowerReg Scheduler.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MyComputer\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

6. Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let us know how your system is running.
***attached***

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Paul

Well done, your HJT log is now clean.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

Go and read this thread HERE. It will show you how to speed up your system.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of pearcy only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back