Techspotlight Convention 2004?

Phantasm66

Ok, this is purely hypothetical....

How would some of you feel if we organised a convention, very likely in the USA, were we all got a chance to meet, talk, drink togther (well, for the adults, anyway), and organised some kind of a LAN gaming event? Maybe some computer technology workshops, etc?

Would perhaps only last for 4 days or so, maybe one week? Personally, I would be thinking next summer (these things take about 1 year to organise anyway.)

Comments??

count me in

the avant-garde ...........will arrive........to bollix things up:D ...........don't forget the tin foil:grinthumb

I would be up to it. As long as it doesnt happen in the next 4-5 months. (Little short on cash right now due to car problems I had -- but are fixed now -- and a trip I'm going on to Tampa Florida this Saturday for a week).

Next summer would be perfect. Let's hope I am still welcome around here by then lol.

One reason I say I year from now, is that it would take me that long to save for it.

How about in 5 years then.. :p

I wonder what are the chances of getting an US visa for a single 22 year old poor student from eastern europe..

Hehe Phant. Yea I would need to save a little bit. Especially if I get my own place again between now and then. Hopefully I will. I am thinking about moving back to Tampa Florida one day. Who knows though.

Originally posted by Nodsu
How about in 5 years then.. :p

I wonder what are the chances of getting an US visa for a single 22 year old poor student from eastern europe..
LOL

Anyway, I'm up for something like this. Lets make it in St. Louis lol, thats close to me. jk, I could probably make it anywhere in the US. In all honesty though even though we don't have any (or many) members from Colorado - that would be a very awesome place for people that aren't from the US to visit, and at the same time avoiding the American[/b] BS they'd get in an east or west coast city, although it would probably cost a bit more to fly into Denver than a coastal city.

That's a nice idea, and a year from now, it could be possible... just like you I would have to save some bucks and see how we could accomodate, I would be the one supposed to organize the event and I do not live in the US yet (planning to move in the next couple of years).

Now, if anyone is in for a South American tour, it would be nice to organize something here in Ecuador, too, the problem would be there are far less connections & very few TS readers in my area, while U.S. are a big chunk of them, so yes, US would be the most appropiate country to organize something, I'm thinking of the Miami area in Florida.

The country does not matter Julio. The only reason I suggested USA was that its probably where a lot more members live. But indeed its true that you would be the main organiser, and as such having it on your own turf would make much more sense.

You can bet your *** I will save to go to Ecuador if it means I can meet even 20 people who post here (well, depends which 20 ;) ). But I am willing to bet that more would come if it was well organised and there was things to do.

Yes, Florida sounds good to me! I used to live in Florida and visit often (actually are going to Tampa for a week on Saturday). We could all go meet at Ybor City (basically a 24/7 mardi gra type party town). ;-).

Hmm, sounds interesting...

Though I guess we should vote or something on where it would be held...?

Eourope would not be completley out of the question now would it? Irland, Netherlands or Germany perhaps?

If I have a year's notice then it could be just about anywhere, if people were serious about it. Obviously, the cheaper overall the better, because lots of people from all over would be coming, and you think to think about what's easiest for everyone. But then Julio has a point about it being near him.

These are the sorts of things that would need to be discussed....

We all know that CA is the most popular state in the US here... ;)

Really though, that would be very cool. I wonder how many would participate though? Would it be enough to justify a TS convention? :)

I'm also thinking... would it make sense to make the meeting at the same time other big events are running, something like Comdex for example?

That would give us something of a double purpose, but of course the problem would be that of raised costs because of location and season (event happening at that time). Although we could pick something smaller.

For making flying arrangements, www.orbitz.com and www.priceline.com are pretty unbeatable for low fares. It's very possible to fly cross-country for about $200... Which may still be a considerable sum of money, but much cheaper than standard fares.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
I'm also thinking... would it make sense to make the meeting at the same time other big events are running, something like Comdex for example?

That would give us something of a double purpose, but of course the problem would be that of raised costs because of location and season (event happening at that time). Although we could pick something smaller.

These are all other good ideas.

That's why we have to start talking about it now, one year in advance.

That would be awesome. Count me in if I can get there. Having it during the summer is also a good idea.

Depending on what else is happening at the same time (of conventions in Norway), I might be game...

And if I can save enough cash to go...
A roundtrip from Oslo to NYC (chosen randomly) costs around 1000$.... Which is about what I've got to live for each month.... ([EDIT] Of which over half goes to pay bills.. :()

But yeah, I'd be interested... Especially if there was some sort of program...
It doesn't have to be any lectures/anything big, but a bit of gaming, sightseeing etc. would be nice...
Though I won't be bringing my rig along!

Originally posted by TS | Crazyace
Where it all began!!!

Wasn't that someplace in Africa?
Can't remember where, but I seem to recall thats where humans first "appeared"...
But wouldn't that make it a bit hard for us to have a gaming session?

Or if you mean the internet, sure I'm up for another trip to CERN... Switzerland is a nice place, and with the LHC and everything, it'd be a great place to meet...
Though I doubt they'll let us use their computers for gaming (though they should be able to handle it)...

;) :D

Back