Tecra S1: Unable to boot properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodlez55555

I left my laptop, model Tecra S1, Toshiba, on for around three days and after I hear this buzzing sound at bottom left of my laptop. After the computer freezes so I turned it off and i decided to cool it off for 20 min. 20 min passed and I turned on the computer and it wouldn't boot unless if I used "Secondary Hard Drive" in the booting menu. So, I tried using recovery CDs but I noticed that it took a while to recover (around 3 more times slower than usual). After the recovery, I tried to turn it on but the message, "please insert bootable cd," or something like that over and over. If I try to go to primary or secondary hard drive options from the booting menu, it says error has occured please press ctrl+alt+del to restart computer. Thank you for the support.

Does anyone know what is located inside the bottom left of the laptop, Tecra S1? I'm guessing it is the hard drive seeing how it makes a buzzing sound (like when a disk spins but it's getting scratched) and the laptop won't let me install anything on it.

I'd guess hard drive failure. I doubt you could fix it yourself, though, unless you know how. cuz it's probably hard. BTW, if you got something to add to your unanswered post, you can just hit the 'edit' button at the bottom right of your post and add it instead of making a whole new post.

hope this helps, however it can

--kitty

i would agree with kitty.. anything sounding scratchy, especially if its coming from the hdd sounds like failure.

check BIOS and see if its still being picked up.
If you can find out the maker of the HDD, you can try and use a disc diagnostic utility (in a bootable CD) from their website to see if its still good or not.

If its under warranty, get it sent for repair, otherwise if you're up to it and got a clean bench to work on, you can replace the HDD yourself. You just need a couple of screwdrivers, a small container, a steady hand and remember what screw goes where. Then just purchase a notebook IDE (size up to you) drive from your local PC shop..

of course, taking apart a laptop can be daunting, so a good step by step/picture guide can help. Google for one.

How much does it usually cost to replace a 60GB hard drive for laptops (including the service charges) because my dad won't even let me touch the laptop now seeing how I broke it.

Those are cheap, if you live in the USA and have a Best Buy there... You can get 120GB for $130 bucks. Or you can go to Buy.com or Newegg to get 2.5 HDD is what you need for a Laptop. If the laptop is new you can have Toshiba replace the HD for you which have come with 1-3 year protection

Does anyone have a map inside of Tecra S1? I tried looking everywhere on google but there are no pictures inside of Tecra S1 Toshiba located at bottom left of the laptop. All they show is the picture inside of the top left or the middle of the laptop. Thank you in advance.

Can you take a picture with a digital camera and post it here so we can see what you have there? Take a picture of the bottom...

tecra%20s1.bmp

I got this picture from http://tech.irisvista.com/laptops/ToshibaS1/tecraS1_1.htm. It is exactly same as mine. I circled the spot that I want to know more about. Sorry but it seems that I was unable to find a picture with the case opened for this spot :mad: I would take a picture of my dad's laptop but he won't let me take apart the laptop =/

The large round red area is where the HD goes. Looks like to the right its side mounted type. Unscrew two screws will release the HD inside. Next to that to the left is the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back