Telnet...how to setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

techuser

Can somebody tell me how Telnet works...basically I am asking what do I need to do to setup Telnet connection to work from home.
I did try VNC but it seems very slow...as I am going to my work computer and then accessing Unix program which in turn has database in a separate Server....so the emulater takes time to refresh ..and hence slow.
And I thot of trying Telnet connection??
CAn somebody advise me what do I need to do to setup?
Do I need Client / Server software.
Do I need a modem at both ends...ie work computer and home PC??
And how does it work ....Do I need to configure my router at work...if yes then how to configure??
Does it work with IP addressess??? do I need to open Ports...if yes which one???
Do I need to setup any passwords or logins???
And lastly how would I access it...with External IP of my company the way I used to do it with VNC??
Thanks

I don't know much about telnet, but I'll tel you what I know.

Telnet is preinstalled on MS operating systems.

You can get GUI's for it, but its is generally a commandline tool. At any prompt, type "telnet" and there you go, it's there.

Telnet, ironically, is probably one of the most useful tools for crackers ever written.

The default port is port 23, so if you type "telnet 85.64.xxx.xxx" it will attempt to connect you to that address using port 23.

to connect to a different port, you have to specify it., eg "telnet 85.64.xxx.xxx 80" will try to connect you to port 80 on that ip address.

You can also connect using the domain name

try connecting from a command prompt to a text based internet mail server (perfectly legal btw!)

one example would be "telnet in.xxxxxxx.com 25" This will connct you to the server and from here, if you know smtp commands, you can send email (if you are really clever, you can spoof email. told you it's a useful tool for people in black hats!)

Anyway, that's the best I know at the moment. Maybe other people will have more knowledge of it that I do.

(Edit: I had an address in mind when I wrote this, but I considered it a bad idea to give it out in a forum. Everybody might do it! wouldn't the sysadmin of that server love me for that. lol)

If it is on your PC, try HyperTerminal (Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications). This also has a Telnet-client, but uses a GUI.

For telnet to work you have to do the same kind of port forwarding you would do or VNC only the port number is diferent (23, as realblackstuff said). You have to install a telnet server on the server side machine. Some sort of a telnet client comes with every OS.

You are aware that telnet is command line only? You will be able to run only command line tools.

Do you have to connect to your work PC? Maybe you can connect to the UNIX server directly from your home?

I was sure there were a few GUI's out there to use on top of it. Guess I'll have to look again! lol.

Ah well, we live and learn.

Nodsu ....
Thats what I want to do ...but dont know how.
I have downloaded Putty at my home PC. After that I dont know....I mean connecting to work PC or connecting to Unix Server is better. As connecting to Unix Server has its own disadvantages.
And I dont know how & what to install on the Unix server.
Any advise.....

Depending on the WIndows version/configuration of your work PC, it may have telnet server installed. Look in Services if you see a Telnet service there.

The UNIX server has telnet installed. It doesn't have to be enabled but it most likely is.

You set up port forwarding just like you would do for VNC. Then you open up Putty, enter the true internet IP of your workplace, the port number if you are not using the default one.

I have Win XP home edition at home and trying to connect to Unix Server..I think that only has Unix installed.
At my Home computer I have Terminal services I made it to start AUTOMATIC...but no telnet services...are terminal services the same?? Do I need to install telnet or I have downloaded putty and should be enough.
Thanks........

You need to install nothing to connect to a telnet server. Windows has a (rather poor) telnet client built in. The biggest problem is to set up the company firewall to let you connect to the server. Have you taljed to the administrator of your work network and servers? He can (if he wants) help you more than any of us here.

yeh you was quicker then me :)

if you use router@home you need to forward some ports also i think and you need to know what ports they use on your work and what kind of firewall is running there i think you cant disable it ;) I advice you to talk with the network administrator@work

good luck,

raz0r

Thanks ...very much to everybody!!!
I downloded Putty & opened the port on my router. When I try to use Putty with my external IP ; it asks for Password..but no login.???
Any idea where can I set the login and password...???? or password & login its asking for??
Thanks....!!!

Telnet ....?????????

Thanksa lot ... to everybody!!

Nodsu...
>>" For telnet to work you have to do the same kind of port forwarding you would do or VNC only the port number is diferent (23, as realblackstuff said). You have to install a telnet server on the server side machine. Some sort of a telnet client comes with every OS. "<<
Do you know where can I download Telnet Server on the server side machine for my Unix Server.
I have linksys router at work and trying to Telnet Unix Server from home. After forwarding the port 23 and the IP of the server.

It gives me an error of Network connection failed / Network unreachable / cannot connect to host. Any advise what am I missing in the router configs??
My work network has internal IP of 192.168.1.100 - 149
So my workstations at work are sharing this DHCP scope. The Unix Server has static IP of 192.168.1.90.
To access the appliaction on Unix Server ... I am accessing it with this IP 192.168.1.90 at work.
From home I use the external IP ...but no use...???
Any suggestions ????
Thanks

What type of UNIX box? (AIX,SCO)

Did you configure the static IP (192.168.1.90) yourself?

At work, on the UNIX side, what program are u using (procom+, tiny term,hyperTerm) to emulate a dumb terminal ?

Does your router have a option for "IPsec Passthru"?
(im not sure about this one, its what i use for VPN)

And did open port (port forwarding) 23, specifically for that IP?

VNC on UNIX? IMHO, ProcomPlus works better for what I think your doing, or a copy of DajaWin. Yes, windows comes with HyperTerm but its way to limited.

You need to VPN both sides, with a good firewall (Sonic), otherwise your opening your UNIX box up to the world.

I have Sco Unix ...at work.
Yes I configured that IP of 192.168.1.90.
And am using Tiny term to emulate dumb term.

Thanks ...again

Telnet ....?????????

I am trying to connect via Putty(SSH on port 22) to my Unix box...it gives me

NETWORK ERROR ...CONNECTION REFUSED..!! On the router I have opened port 22 & not 23.

And when I try to telnet(port 23) to my unix box .it asks for password...which password do I need...
I have Linksys WRT54G router at work. WinXP Home edition at home
Any advise???...Please help..
Thanks

Connection refused probably means that SSH is not enabled on the unix box.

We have no way of knowing the passwords and user accounts used in your office.

How can I enable SSH on Unix box. It just Unix installed.

I agree that nobody would know Logins/ Passwords used here at my work.
What I want to know is where am I supposed to setup the passwords like on Unix Box ....then I have it and it asks for passwords only no login...that's where I cant figure out which password it asking for.
Like it shows :
Connect 151.168.xx.xx
and would show Password to be entered.
Any suggestion...would be appreciated!!
Thanks

It asks your UNIX account login. If you have an account on the UNIX box then you should be able to use that. If it asks only password then it has been preconfigured to let only one person to log in. Whoever set it up knows who it is. Most likely it's a root or a guest account.

How to set up SSH depends on what flavour of UNIX you have. Consulting the manual would be the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back