Temp problem i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

etones

hi every1 is was using my computer the other day and it was playing lots of loud beeps from the motherboard, so i went round checking things to see what it was and i soon found the problem the pcs temp was 92c then about a minute after i checked the temp the pc shut down, then i left it about 1 hour to cool down then when i turned it back on at the BIOS screen there was 5 beeps then noting happened. can any1 help find out what it is, i have looked in the beep code list but cant find it.

5 short beeps? That would be processor failure. Which beep code list did you look at?
And of course you have a temp problem. 100C is boiling point as you know.

Edit: Well, you are right, that's only for AMI BIOS.

why would it be failing. i found out what the temp problem was, one of the fans wasnt spining.

See edit above, I was wrong, because you might not have an AMI BIOS. What BIOS do you have?
I can only find your motherboard #2 listed in your profile, your first computer doesn't have one? ;)

Well, just have a look at my profile...I don't know most of my components names out of the top of my head, hehe...they are so old...
And checking is bothersome, because it's built into a computer closet thing.

So, everything's fine again, now, isn't it?

PCs temp, what is that exactly? CPU, motherboard or case?
Only the CPU could be that high, but it's still too much for a P3, if you ask me. And that's only idle, I assume.
Anything else at that temp is definitely bad, but I think you are talking about the CPU.
Is thermal paste applied? Are there additional fans? I'm very lazy about that, myself. I have no additional fans and right now temp is at 60C, which is already too high, I know that.

If you want to know the max temps just take a look in your BIOS. If it has a shutdown option you should be 10C below the warning level in idle mode or probly 5 or 10C below that to make sure.

Temp problem too

Hi Folks,

I have a weird temp problem of my own. I have an Asus A7N8X mainboard running an AMD Athlon 2600+. The machine started shutting off spontaneously just recently. A guy told me it could be overheating so I opened it up checked the fans and all three were working. I pointed an external fan at it and was able to keep it running. I have a Phoenix Award bios and the CPU temp is 60C/140F. The mobo temp is 26C/78F. The air coming off the CPU fan is warm but not hot. The weird part is that the bios tells me that the chassis fan is running at 4115 RPM and the CPU and power supply (cool to the touch) are both running at 0 RPM. This is definitely not the case. What's the deal? Thanks.

The BIOS is wrong. Can happen, I guess. The monitoring doesn't seem to be working right.
I guess you can rule out overheating, but the malfunction or whatever in the temp monitoring could lead the BIOS to initiate a shutdown. That wouldn't be good for you. No idea if that's the case, but if it is, that might go away by flashing the BIOS to an updated version.
Btw, I've never done that. Heard it can be dangerous. No clue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back