Temperature sensors - what am I measuring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

I have just replaced my deceased motherboard with an Intel D101GGC. I also replaced the culprit for the board's demise, my cheap and nasty generic power supply, with a Thermaltake W0084. My CPU is a P4 630 (3.0Ghz).

I have noticed that the fan speeds are lower, and the system WAY quieter than it was with the previous motherboard and PSU. With this in mind, I tested the temperatures using SpeedFan:

Temp1: 40C at idle, 40C under peak load (no change)
Ambient: 45C at idle, 47C under peak load
Remote: 45C at idle, 59C under peak load
CPU: 43C at idle, 45C under peak load

The room temperature is around 20C.

What do you people make of these temperatures? Is the CPU cooling really that efficient? There was a 12C variation between peak and idle CPU temps with my previous motherboard.

I don't know what the "Remote" sensor is, and was unable to determine it from Intel's documentation, but it seems to be behaving more like I would expect the CPU to under load. Can anyone tell me what it is? Could it in fact be the CPU temperature? Obviously, if it is, it is getting unacceptably hot.

Grateful for any assistance offered.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`ve never been a big fan of Speedfan(no pun intended).

Download the free Everest programme from HERE. See what it says your temps are.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Going to try that program now Howard, : D
need to test how hot is my new x1900xt run, AIDA32 didn't detect it, only CPU temp. heh

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`ve never been a big fan of Speedfan(no pun intended).

Download the free Everest programme from HERE. See what it says your temps are.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for your reply.

Everest reports the following:

Motherboard: 46C at idle, 47C peak
CPU: 45C at idle, 45C(!) peak
Aux: 46C at idle, 60C peak

Hopefully this sheds more light on the matter.

Those temps don`t look right to me. Open your side panel and aim a deskfan blowing onto your mobo. See what temps you get then.

What temps are you getting in bios?

Maybe you have a faulty mobo sensor.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Those temps don`t look right to me. Open your side panel and aim a deskfan blowing onto your mobo. See what temps you get then.

What temps are you getting in bios?

Maybe you have a faulty mobo sensor.

Thanks again. Here are the temps I obtained in Everest, with case open and desk fan aimed at mobo -

Motherboard: 33C idle, 33C peak
CPU: 32C idle, 32C peak
Aux: 45C idle, 60C peak

The CPU temps in BIOS were -

Case open and fan on (as above): 50C
Case closed, fan off: 52C

Perhaps the CPU temperature sensor is being misidentified, and the fans are not being adjusted accordingly (which would explain why they are so quiet)!

It does look like a faulty sensor to me.

Check with your mobo manufacturers website for any info they may have. Maybe even contact them and see what they say.

Daft question I know, but when you installed the cpu into your new mobo, you did use themal paste between the cpu and heatsink didn`t you?

Condor said:
Going to try that program now Howard, : D
need to test how hot is my new x1900xt run, AIDA32 didn't detect it, only CPU temp. heh

Sorry Condor, but Everest won`t give you your gpu temps.

If your Card doesn`t support temp sensing then you won`t be able to see the temps. If it does support temp sensing, there should be a programme that came with your card for this purpose.

howard_hopkinso said:
It does look like a faulty sensor to me.

Check with your mobo manufacturers website for any info they may have. Maybe even contact them and see what they say.

Daft question I know, but when you installed the cpu into your new mobo, you did use themal paste between the cpu and heatsink didn`t you?

Thanks, I will get in touch with Intel and see what they have to say.

I am using Arctic Silver between the heatsink and the CPU. I will try removing and reinstalling the heatsink, in case it isn't seated properly. I don't think this is the problem though - if it was, presumably the fan would be motoring flat out attempting to cool it.

One thing that I just remembered which I should have mentioned earlier - when I first switch the system on, the fan spins at an audibly faster speed, but slows down dramatically after just a couple of seconds.

Ionakana77 said:
....when I first switch the system on, the fan spins at an audibly faster speed, but slows down dramatically after just a couple of seconds.
its looks like some kind of "smart fan control" which must be in BIOS/hardware monitor section
did you hwave anything like this? and it is On or Off?
i got AMD based Ausus mobo with "Cool and Quiet" option ON, when it starts the fan is on the maxuimum and after a sveral seconds it falls to about 1,3k RPM

Gars said:
its looks like some kind of "smart fan control" which must be in BIOS/hardware monitor section
did you hwave anything like this? and it is On or Off?
i got AMD based Ausus mobo with "Cool and Quiet" option ON, when it starts the fan is on the maxuimum and after a sveral seconds it falls to about 1,3k RPM

Yes, the board has smart fan control, and I currently have it enabled. I experimented with disabling it, which resulted in the "Aux" (which I'm now presuming means CPU) temperature peaking at 54C under load. Unfortunately the fans were uncomfortably noisy, so leaving smart fan control disabled isn't an option for me.

any updates ?!?! i have this board also and the temperature sensors are kinda weird ... i have speed fan and the cpu temps are below 50 but when i go in bios they are always above 50.

and what is the remote sensor ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back