Terrible Catch-ss after Repair Installation of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhenry

Terrible Catch-22 after Repair Installation of XP

I had an annoying 'Missing DLL" warning after every startup, so I decided to try a repair install. The repair install went as normal (including the several screens where it says it cannot find such-and-such files).

After the repair, I find that IE7 is no longer on the system. Wonderful. I need IE to do the updates, especially SP2. So I go download IE7. It won't install because I don't have SP2. I don't have SP2 becasue I can't get IE7.

I try to download SP2 with Opera and Firefox. Cannot be done. Must use IE. I download IE6 and install it. It will not run.

I cannot update to SP2 without IE7, yet cannot install IE7 without SP2.

Forget it, I say, I'll do a System Restore. Go to do that and find the repair installation has deleted all my restore points.

What can I do now?

Well I found a seperate place to download SP2. But it won't install. It just hangs about ten minutes into installation and doesn't progress the progress bar.

I assume this is because there are other updates that need to be done to a virgin XP before you can install SP2.

Please help me! I'm at my wit's end about this.

So by trying to do an XP "Repair" I've turned my computer into a pile of garbage.

Is there no way out of this?
Thanks

You need to run another XP repair installation using an XP SP2 installation CD. I made this mistake once too! I did a repair installation on my step-father's comp using an XP SP1 installation CD! Messed it right up! I then got an XP SP2 installation CD, ran another repair installation and BINGO! Everything worked!

Is there no IE6 you can use to download the updates? Did IE7 just completely dissapear and there is no internet explorer at all on the system?

Go into Add/remove programs - Add/remove windows components. Uncheck Internet Explorer and click ok. Go back in and re-check and install Internet Explorer. This should put IE6 onto your machine so you can at least access Windows Update.

herr5407 said:
Is there no IE6 you can use to download the updates?
No, I've downloaded IE6 from oldversions.com. It will not run. It won't even start up.
herr5407 said:
Did IE7 just completely dissapear and there is no internet explorer at all on the system?
Correct. There is no IE at all. And I've just completed a second 'Repair' of XP.

herr5407 said:
Go into Add/remove programs - Add/remove windows components. Uncheck Internet Explorer and click ok. Go back in and re-check and install Internet Explorer. This should put IE6 onto your machine so you can at least access Windows Update.
While doing this I get a COM+ SetupError. It cannot install any IE.

Thanks for your help! But I need more before i smash another mouse :(

Any other ideas?

Thanks

See if you can get your hands on a copy of SP2 and try almcneil suggestion. Com+ errors = no good. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but almcneil's suggestion will most likely solve the issue.

herr5407 said:
See if you can get your hands on a copy of SP2 and try almcneil suggestion. Com+ errors = no good. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but almcneil's suggestion will most likely solve the issue.

Again, I made this same mistake once. My step-father's comp came with XP Home SP1. He upgraded to SP2 a year later. There was a problem last year so I did a repair installation using his XP CD but forgot it was SP1. Messed his comp right up just like JH's. I went to a local comp store, borrowed a XP Home SP2 CD, ran another repair installation and BINGO!! EVerything started working again!

Thanks guys-

Can I borrow someone else's XP with SP2 on it? Will that work? I have a legal registered copy of XP myself, but it's an old one witout even SP1 on it.

Actually, the only person I know who has an XP install cd with SP2 has it in a different language. I doubt that would ever work.

I can't believe how badly my computer has been screwed by a simple "Repair" install.

Any other options?

Also, I didn't explain this very well above, but I did download the SP2. But it hangs during install.

Is this because the pre-SP2 updates are all needed before SP2 can be installed?

Any XP SP2 CD will do, so long as it's the right version (Home, Pro, Media). It's the license key you must have, not the original CD. Also, the language doesn't matter as it prompts you for the language as part of the install. Mind you, the initial language on the screen will be the default! Anyhow, so long as you have a valid license key, all you need is the XP type for the CD. Just ask a local comp store to borrow a copy.

I'd say that's your only option unless you plan on re-formatting the HD and starting over again.

On a last resort that I doubt will work, go to a prompt, put your CD into the drive, and type sfc /checknow (i think thats it, might be /scannow). Let it rip for awhile. See if that fixes anything.

Thanks guys.

Herr5407- I tried scannow...but no luck. Thanks anyway.

Tomorrow I'll borrow my friends XP disc. All i need is to use it to do a repair install, and I should be good to go? And you're all sure the different language won't be an issue?

Thanks again!

I'm not quite sure on that one. I thought language packs were handling through the OS itself and not an installation. I thought you install an MUI pack off the XP CD and then can change the input/display language in the OS.

I would wait until someone else posts regarding this. I don't want to send you into a worse position.

But by all means, if you could like to try, give er.

Thanks Herr-

From what I've learned, I do think the different language will be an issue, as all SP and security update downloads for XP are language-specific.

Looks like I get to do a completely fresh install tonight.
And I will never, ever, try a ""Repair"" installation of XP again.

JH,

As part fo the installation procedure (and repair installation too), youa re promtped for "Regional and Langauage Options" so that's where you specify US english. Since this is a repair installation, it won't change the language on you unless you specify otherwise.

If you're really unsure, then just go to a local comp store and ask the service department if you can borrow a copy of XP SP2, US english version. That's what I did 2 years ago. What's more, if the repair fails THEN do a full re-installation. You have nothing to lose by trying another repair installation, just use an XP SP2 installation CD.

I've done many XP repair installs and most work. It's a very good tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back