Testing Bus Speed for Bigger Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironoak

"Memory Speed defines the minimum access time that your RAM can physically handle and is rated in MHz. Higher speeds indicate that the RAM can be made to run to faster. The actual speed of the memory will be determined by the bus speed of your system and will step down if your system only supports a slower speed."
This is a quote from a website selling memory. I think I get the concept, but is there a mathematical equation for finding out how much memory you can add?
My system info shows what I currently have for memory.
My maximum capacity is (Thanks SIW) 4096 mb (4 gigs, right?)
My maximum memory module size is 1024 mb (one gig, right?)
Here's how I understand this:
The max. cap. is just that, how much my computer can hold and the module size is what each memory stick can be.
Now, taking into account the bus speed, how do I know if the memory will be fully functional, or if it will step down for the bus speed?
Thanks for your time ;)

4096mb is indeed 4gb and 1024mb is 1gb, so you're spot on :)

go to crucial.com and run their scanner, it will tell you the speed of your current installed ram and what your mobo can take

if this isn't what you want to know then let me know ;)

Yeah, I was wondering if you could make this harder, because so far everythings been way to easy. You guys are great.
I edited this to add a question after looking at the site you recommended. Very good by the way. I don't know how you guys know all these sites all the time, but if I could ask that question. The PC rating (PC3200, PC2700 it goes on), will any of these numbers be compatible with the puter? or does it refer to the mhz speed? I appreciate your help Dave and have already used your suggestion on other threads.

no problem, mate, i'm always here to help ;)

the PC3200 etc refers to the bandwidth of the memory, the mhz rating will be like DDR400 or DDR2 800, depends on what type you get :)

after a while you use so many sites and just remember the good ones ;) plus there's always bookmarks in case you forget

ram is a fairly easy thing to deal with, i think, because to cover the basics, there is a bandwidth and a speed rating, and you just have to match what one works with yor motherboard. if you wanted to make it harder you could go into types (DDR, DDR2, GDDR3 etc) and all sorts but as long as you know if you have DDR or DDR2 then you'll be alright ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back