The best deals of the largely disappointing Amazon Prime Day

Gabe Carey

When Amazon announced last week its plans for 'Prime Day', which promised more deals than Black Friday, subscribers to the Amazon Prime loyalty program didn't know what to expect. Until yesterday, the actual deals promised in its announcement hadn't been clear. At long last, Amazon Prime Day is finally here, and while companies like Wal-Mart, Newegg, and Levi's were eager to take a leaf out of the e-commerce giant's book, the sales are anything but monumental.

Unless you're interested in everything from a $4 chef hat to a $10 phone case from a Chinese accessories company that's virtually unheard of, the bizarre variety in Prime Day's offerings can be somewhat overwhelming. Fortunately, deal experts have organized a handy list of sales that are likely to stick out among all the clutter:

For items that are sold out, you can request to join a waitlist in which you'll be notified if the product once again becomes available to buy. While many have taken to social media their disdain with the sale, with some referring to it as a "garage sale" or "Amazon 'let's get rid of this inventory' Day", a spokesperson for savings site FatWallet.com suggested that "some of the best deals for both Amazon and Wal-Mart are yet to come when the West Coast gets to work."

For Amazon's sake, let's certainly hope so. Otherwise, this may turn out to be the one-off annual sales day the company was seeking to avoid. A minor discount off an item you weren't looking to buy is hardly a deal, although the prospect of Amazon bringing its better sales to the table later on in the day does make sense. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Needless to say, Prime Day is unlikely to serve as a threat to Cyber Monday or Black Friday any time soon.

Permalink to story.

"Unless you're interested in everything from a $4 chef hat to a $10 phone case from a Chinese accessories company that's virtually unheard of, the bizarre variety in Prime Day's offerings can be somewhat overwhelming."

This is more than a bit misleading. I lurked around Amazon most of the morning, and while there was certainly a bunch of discount low-value/unknown manufacture stuff, there was a pretty even mix of standard/well known products in the Prime Day feeds. The mix was underwhelming, but only in the sense that Black Friday is a discount free for all and Prime Day has been a game of slots.

Who am I kidding. They advertised spectacular fireworks and delivered the occasional M80.

"Unless you're interested in everything from a $4 chef hat to a $10 phone case from a Chinese accessories company that's virtually unheard of, the bizarre variety in Prime Day's offerings can be somewhat overwhelming."

This is more than a bit misleading. I lurked around Amazon most of the morning, and while there was certainly a bunch of discount low-value/unknown manufacture stuff, there was a pretty even mix of standard/well known products in the Prime Day feeds. The mix was underwhelming, but only in the sense that Black Friday is a discount free for all and Prime Day has been a game of slots.

Who am I kidding. They advertised spectacular fireworks and delivered the occasional M80.

The only M80 was the Samsung 4K TV with a hard drive loaded with 4K content. The rest of the stuff is utterly forgettable. I'll wait for Black Friday, thank you very much.

I've been waiting for a sale on spotter scopes for a long time now. Finally, on Prime Day, the one I wanted came on "sale," for the exact same price it had been before.

I'm one of the few prime members that made out

I had a pair of men's sandals on my wish list that sold for $20 less yesterday
I was in the market for a good 250GB SSD for around $80, so I picked up the crucial MX
I have a 3 month old so baby wipes are always in demand

other then that, yeah pretty disappointing sale for most people

I've been waiting for a sale on spotter scopes for a long time now. Finally, on Prime Day, the one I wanted came on "sale," for the exact same price it had been before.

This seemed to be quite an occurrence on Prime Day.

Back