The Best Graphics Cards: What's the Best GPU for Your Budget?

AMD could sell the 5700 series cards for $250 and still make loads of profit. The only reason they've increased the price is because Nvidia has bumped their prices up. I don't know why they don't just do an ATI 4800 price point and screw Nvidia over.

AMD could sell the 5700 series cards for $250 and still make loads of profit. The only reason they've increased the price is because Nvidia has bumped their prices up. I don't know why they don't just do an ATI 4800 price point and screw Nvidia over.

Lowering prices too much gives customers the impression that you are selling an inferior product. ATI's 4000 series proves that. ATI had cheaper, faster, more power efficient cards yet Nvidia still vastly outsold them. In the end ATI ended up with small profit margins and less sales. It'd be a much wiser idea to charge the extra money and invest that in marketing, drivers, and game partnerships. You don't build good brand recognition by being cheap or "good enough".

Well AdoredTV made some rough estimate that the navi 10 chip could cost 70-100usd (non-XT vs XT chip), GDDR 6 14Gbps is like 90usd for 8GB, that ~160usd (5700) or 190usd (5700 XT) already without anything else. That made the 5700 XT around 100usd more expensive to produce than RX 580 (35usd for chip and 55usd for 8GB GDDR5). RX 580 was actually just RX 480 which launched at 240usd so yeah technically AMD could sell 5700 XT at 340usd (310usd for 5700) but not lower. Also mining is dead now so AMD can't mass produce the chip to reduce the price.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gddr6-significantly-more-expensive-than-gddr5.html

Last edited:
Well AdoredTV made some rough estimate that the navi 10 chip could cost 70-100usd (non-XT vs XT chip), GDDR 6 14Gbps is like 90usd for 8GB, that ~160usd (5700) or 190usd (5700 XT) already without anything else. That made the 5700 XT around 100usd more expensive to produce than RX 580 (35usd for chip and 55usd for 8GB GDDR5). RX 580 was actually just RX 480 which launched at 240usd so yeah technically AMD could sell 5700 XT at 340usd (310usd for 5700) but not lower. Also mining is dead now so AMD can't mass produce the chip to reduce the price.

So basically we need to wait for GDDR6 to fall in price, also as 7nm matures over the next year the chip will also drop. The 5700 could be $250 by May next year.

krizby said:
Well AdoredTV made some rough estimate that the navi 10 chip could cost 70-100usd (non-XT vs XT chip)
The manufacturing cost is exactly the same - the 5700 chip has just failed specific binning tests that the 5700 XT passed. This isn't, of course, the same as the tray price that AMD charges AIB vendors, for the different chips (there will always be a difference in price for that).

Lounds said:
The 5700 could be $250 by May next year.
AMD are aiming for RDNA 2 on a 7nm+ process node for 2020/2021, so a price reduction might come later than May. A lot will depend on when Nvidia release their Ampere mid-range.

I am definitely considering a 2080 Super for my next build. I love my 2080TiFTW3hybrid but I don’t see the need for it yet.

Glad to see Nvidia has the high end on lock down.

I am definitely considering a 2080 Super for my next build. I love my 2080TiFTW3hybrid but I don’t see the need for it yet.

Glad to see Nvidia has the high end on lock down.
Why are you glad to see that? Competition on the high end would actually be much better, since it would reduce prices.

The 2080 Super is really a bad value card. Anything above the 2070 Super is overpriced. If you're willing to spend the money, it's your decision. But I currently wouldn't recommend anyone getting anything other than a 5700XT or a 2070 Super for the high-end.

Agreed - definitely not keen on just the one manufacturer being able to run riot with prices at the top of the GPU market. Hopefully some pressure from AMD and Intel with their big chip releases could help to keep things somewhat more sensible.

QuantumPhysics just likes to troll. Everyone knows competition is good, that insane inflated mining GPU prices are bad, and that nVidia has almost no value proposition left, yet he likes to brag about throwing money at them.
Seriously, I remember when the 1070s were like $500 during the mining boom and the market was livid. Then nVidia brings out the 2070 at $500 and the same *****s are lining up to get one. Because "ray tracing."

I can't understand why AMD is so low on the market share (steam survey). I mean where gamers, PC gamers that is, usually buy their GPU's is mid-end. The GTX 1060 is a good card, but not great considering that the RX 580 offers about the same for less.
Last time I checked AMD did not have 20% of the GPU market share and that is pretty low, considering it is just AMD and Nvidia in custom PC solutions, right now.

I can't understand why AMD is so low on the market share (steam survey). I mean where gamers, PC gamers that is, usually buy their GPU's is mid-end. The GTX 1060 is a good card, but not great considering that the RX 580 offers about the same for less.
Last time I checked AMD did not have 20% of the GPU market share and that is pretty low, considering it is just AMD and Nvidia in custom PC solutions, right now.

The steam survey isn't an accurate representation of the GPU market. They don't provide their testing methodology and it has known bugs / exploits.

For example, Internet Cafes have the same machine registered in the survey on a per user basis, so in effect the same machine can be counted hundreds of times. Steam sees these people logged into steam on a new machine and thinks they changed their hardware. In addition to that, you can invoke the steam survey via command line. This means it's possible for anyone to change their specs either via software (virtual machine or otherwise) or by simply swapping a single piece of hardware and then call the survey again.

In addition, it's worth nothing that the steam survey still has almost a quarter of users on dual cores and a third with a monitor resolution below 1080p. These may be PCs from less wealthy countries but either way, they certainly do not represent what I'd consider an average gaming PC today or even budget.

Last edited:
QuantumPhysics just likes to troll. Everyone knows competition is good, that insane inflated mining GPU prices are bad, and that nVidia has almost no value proposition left, yet he likes to brag about throwing money at them.
Seriously, I remember when the 1070s were like $500 during the mining boom and the market was livid. Then nVidia brings out the 2070 at $500 and the same *****s are lining up to get one. Because "ray tracing."
Btw the ignore button is pretty handy if you want to filter out what you deem low quality posts. Just click on the profile name, click ignore.

Last edited:
The steam survey isn't an accurate representation of the GPU market. They don't provide their testing methodology and it has known bugs / exploits.

For example, Internet Cafes have the same machine registered in the survey on a per user basis, so in effect the same machine can be counted hundreds of times. Steam sees these people logged into steam on a new machine and thinks they changed their hardware. In addition to that, you can invoke the steam survey via command line. This means it's possible for anyone to change their specs either via software (virtual machine or otherwise) or by simply swapping a single piece of hardware and then call the survey again.

I don't know what is the point of tampering with the hardware survey for lol. Anyways steam has adjusted their hardware registering entries to account for internet cafe since a while ago.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html

This is where every GPU review has been lying to you, when you check the list of steam games with the highest concurrent players count
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/
If you go by every game in that list, only in Rainbow Six does RX 580 outperform GTX 1060. Every GPU review only cares about AAA games that actual gamer care little about. Techspot also deliberately removed several massively played games (GTA V, No Man's Sky, PUBG, etc...) in their GTX 1060 vs RX 580 benchmarks. If you were a budget gamer, would you buy a budget GPU to play every new AAA game or a popular MMO ?

Anyways current dedicated GPU market share

Last edited:
I don't know what is the point of tampering with the hardware survey for lol. Anyways steam has adjusted their hardware registering entries to account for internet cafe since a while ago.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html

This is where every GPU review has been lying to you, if you check the list of steam games with the highest concurrent players count
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

If you go by every game in that list, only in Rainbow Six does RX 580 outperform GTX 1060. Every GPU review only cares about AAA games that actual gamer care little about. Techspot also deliberately removed several massively played games (GTA V, No Man's Sky, PUBG, etc...) in their GTX 1060 vs RX 580 benchmarks just to skewer the results.

Anyways current dedicated GPU market share

If you read later on in the article you linked, the author goes on to question steam's data. In fact you should question steam's data given they do not disclose methodology. The survey does not seem to reflect marketshare changes reported by every other analyst firm. In fact the 2019 July steam survey has AMD loosing marketshare during the launch of Zen 2, which doesn't make any sense given how well it's been selling.

If you read later on in the article you linked, the author goes on to question steam's data. In fact you should question steam's data given they do not disclose methodology. The survey does not seem to reflect marketshare changes reported by every other analyst firm. In fact the 2019 July steam survey has AMD loosing marketshare during the launch of Zen 2, which doesn't make any sense given how well it's been selling.

Well you can thank AMD distribution channels for that, R5 3600 is only available since the beginning of August in my country, I guess it would be the same for other third world countries. Anyways AMD has been steadily increasing market share since April 2018 and that is a good sign.

About the article, Intel 8th gen was released Sep 2017 and retook the performance crown in every category (I bought my 8700K also), that explain why AMD lost market share during July 2017- April 2018 time frame.
https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-amd-ryzen-cpu-market-share-june-2018/

Well you can thank AMD distribution channels for that, R5 3600 is only available since the beginning of August in my country, I guess it would be the same for other third world countries. Anyways AMD has been steadily increasing market share since April 2018 and that is a good sign.

About the article, Intel 8th gen was released Sep 2017 and retook the performance crown in every category (I bought my 8700K also), that explain why AMD lost market share during July 2017- April 2018 time frame.
https://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-amd-ryzen-cpu-market-share-june-2018/
That's based on one PC suppliers results. I'm sure places like overclockers.co.uk would say the same thing but on Amazon the R5 2600 might be the best selling CPU.

This should explain part of why Steam numbers have AMD lower than you might expect (it's at around 29m in):

This should explain part of why Steam numbers have AMD lower than you might expect (it's at around 29m in):

hah this jebaited guy is so out of date, steam already accounted for icafe hardwares in april 2018 HW survey (data before that were skewered). I already gave the link above. PUBG just kinda destroyed AMD market share really.

That's based on one PC suppliers results. I'm sure places like overclockers.co.uk would say the same thing but on Amazon the R5 2600 might be the best selling CPU.

R5 2600 was released on May 2018, I was just explaining how AMD lost market share during Jul 2017 to April 2018 during which Intel 8th was released.

Last edited:
Back