TechSpot's Guide to the Best Keyboards 2019

Oh haaaay, there's a product on a best of list that I actually have! I do really like the look and feel of the K800, I've had one since it was released back in 2010. Well, it's actually my second; the first had the left control button fail, but that was within it's warranty so I got my replacement for free.

The K520 is a very similar keyboard in design that is a bit cheaper and much much longer battery life. It is however without the backlight and micro USB charge port, and the keystrokes are a bit stiffer as well.

Yeah gaming keyboards have a lot of competition. Would have been nice to see some others for comparison purposes.

Otherwise, great article. Thanks! ☺

I still love my original K70 RGB. Still feels super solid (not a surprise due to all the metal). Back when I was shopping a year+ ago, I was also looking at that Das Keyboard, but I opted for the Corsair (which meant some waiting for release) because the Das didn't have a backlight.

Another vote here for the K800. I've got two, and the first one has performed well for five or six years in my HTPC setup, coupled with an MX Revolution mouse atop a repurposed antique ashtray stand.

I have the Logitech g710+ with brown switches. It has my first mechanical keyboard since using one from the late 80's/early 90's. So nice but not good for typing at all.

Good choices for all except budget. There are plenty of $5-$10 keyboards that work perfectly fine. I love my non-RGB K70 personally.

Using a recently purchased from Amazon Logitech G610 Orion Brown Back-lit Mechanical Gaming PC Keyboard with MX brown Cherry switches ,double mold keys and it's real decent. I don't game on it.

I'm not a speed typist so their may be better alternatives for all that and there are more game features oriented keyboards from Logitech and others but this one has customization macros and keys if you need all that .

This board is more of an conservative but nice black office type keyboard not unlike a DAS Keyboard but with white dimmable LED per key back light and no major gaming features just a solid std 104 key mechanical and some media buttons ,mute and a loudness wheel for your PC sound it's all very sturdy,clever ,substantial ,weighty and well built above it's price IMO.

It's about 2.6 pounds 17.5 x 6 x 1.4 inches not small or light and no slip rubberized feet and 2 position rear height. Tts not a compact model and if you use a good mechanical you will never go back to a membrane keyboard if you know ,you know .

I got spoiled on the legendary IBM and IBM clone mechanical at work for decades and this thing plays nice all in all with it's genuine Cherry MX brown switches and it has double mold keys.

For the money and some more than that I think it's a great Logitech product and clean and professional looking an at home in a professional environments more like a DAS keyboard than a bling game board.

Last edited:
I still love my original K70 RGB. Still feels super solid (not a surprise due to all the metal). Back when I was shopping a year+ ago, I was also looking at that Das Keyboard, but I opted for the Corsair (which meant some waiting for release) because the Das didn't have a backlight.
K70 is fine, but really just a standard mechanical board with some backlight and somewhat mediocre software needed to control it. A board like Ducky shine 5 is above it quality wise, somewhat same price range. You get better keycaps(full size ABS double mold). Dual PCB. Better backlight and no need for extra software to control it

Currently using a G710+, blue version. Bought the brown version when it came out.. which was the only SKU at the time.

Both aren't very good in terms of tactile feedback (brown has o-rings which are great for reducing bottom out noise; blue doesn't for some reason) and the build quality is pretty bad. If a keyboard 'pings' when you strike a key, then it's an awful mechanical keyboard in my eyes, and this thing pings. The wrist wrest is pretty half assed too. The lighting is white only and very uneven. The keycaps wear away with long term use.

But, it's been the perfect 'standard' keyboard with media keys (especially a mute button!) and backlighting, along with having some extra macro keys thrown on. It's an all around 'good' keyboard for general use.

Still waiting for something to replace it, as I really want a better feeling keyboard.. and to go back to darker lighting (used red on my TactX). Tried the Corsair one.. didn't like it (especially not red switches; brown or blue for me).

Does anyone know the value of a "programmable" keyboard? I use a Logitech G510s - 18 x 3 programmable keys that do all of my mundane typing for me. I've also used a Corsair Raptor K50 - 18 x 3 but harder to program and my wife loves her MS Sidewinder - 6 x 3 and the easiest to program.

I'm sorry but I can't take this article seriously if theres no mention of a single PS/2 keyboard. I don't care how basic it is but any gamer or anyone with some knowledge in this field would understand the benefits of a ps/2 keyboard

I have had a number of Logitech M310 mice over the years as in the Logitech combo in the article, and my experience with them is that all of them have gradually stopped working in about a year's time. It is a common problem with this mouse that many people have and can easily be found by doing a web search. The first one that I had came in a combo that I bought for our HTPC. My wife has also had several of these, and they all developed the same problem.

I finally got sick of it and bought a Logitech wireless gaming mouse (the model number escapes me at the moment) since I have one on another PC that has lasted well over a year.

All I can say is that if anyone does buy the combo in this article, I would not be surprised if the mouse fails after about a year. IMO, the M310 is cheap, and does not last long; therefore, anyone considering a M310 or a combo that has an M310, you would be far better off spending more money on a better mouse or a gaming mouse as the money you will spend on replacing them year-after-year will easily add up to the price of a better mouse.

Happily using the Logitech K360 wireless keyboard. It's a more compact size yet still has a full number pad. Excellent battery life. Only using it for casual typing on PC and laptop, not for gaming. I like it as I can move the Logitech USB dongle between the PC and laptop and it gets detected immediately.

The MK520 has been updated to the MK530. For the same price, the MK530 includes the same keyboard (K520) as before, but the mouse has been upgraded from the M310 to the M510. The M510 adds sidescrolling on the wheel and two thumb buttons, which makes the combo set even more functional, and perhaps could (should?) replace the MK520 on the list. :)

Living with my 3rd Logitech K800 over the last 5 years, and loving it.
Glad to see my K800 is still on this list.

I know this probably self contradictory, but does anyone know of a good chiclet, thin/low profile, mechanical keyboard? People probably think I am insame, but for my gaming pursposes, I like the laptop keyboard like the one on my MSI GS63VR, but there seems to be no equivalents for desktop? The closest I've seen and that I'm have been using the Razer Deathstalker Chroma, but it is still too chunky/thick, and it is membrane. I'm looking for a thinner keyboard. I just can't get used to the typical mechanical keyboard with tall keycaps. It feels like my fingers are being trapped between keys and it slows down my key presses and I can't just simply glide from key to key.

So in simple terms:
- chiclet keycaps
- sub 2mm actuation
- thin, backlit, gaming
- mechanical switches (so implies super thin mechanical switches, heck I'll even accept scissor switches)
- and reasonably priced

Perhaps this thing is an unicorn never to be found....

The MK520 has been updated to the MK530. For the same price, the MK530 includes the same keyboard (K520) as before, but the mouse has been upgraded from the M310 to the M510. The M510 adds sidescrolling on the wheel and two thumb buttons, which makes the combo set even more functional, and perhaps could (should?) replace the MK520 on the list. :)

Glad to see my K800 is still on this list.
Sounds perfect! Looking into this since we picked the combo because of the keyboard and not the mouse (we complained about it on the writeup). If it all pans out, we'll switch it over. Thanks.

I know this probably self contradictory, but does anyone know of a good chiclet, thin/low profile, mechanical keyboard?
I'd start here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5wjamn/are_there_mechanical_chiclet_keyboards/

Sounds perfect! Looking into this since we picked the combo because of the keyboard and not the mouse (we complained about it on the writeup). If it all pans out, we'll switch it over. Thanks.
Yay I contributed~ I've got the MK520 at work and the M310 that comes with it is too small for me in a normal desktop environment and is just lacking... functionality wise. So yeah I can totally relate to not being a fan of the mouse.

A question, or perhaps correction: As far as I can tell the M510 (both versions) only have thumb buttons on the left side (for right handed use) at least based on every picture I can find... am I missing something?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of ergonomic keyboards with some bells and whistles?

Due to wrist injury 12 years ago, I can't use an ordinary keyboard. I would really like an ergonomic "gamer" keyboard, but so far I haven't been able to find any.

Does anyone know of ergonomic keyboards with some bells and whistles?

Due to wrist injury 12 years ago, I can't use an ordinary keyboard. I would really like an ergonomic "gamer" keyboard, but so far I haven't been able to find any.
I tried a Microsoft Sculpt keyboard for general use and it was quite comfortable in comparison to a normal keyboard but the wireless wasn't up to scratch and it wasn't responsive enough, even having repeated keystrokes and missed keystrokes when typing quickly (I'm only about 60-70 wpm).

What I do recommend trying are the likes of the Razer Orbweaver(Mechanical keys) or Tartarus(Membrane keys) one hand keyboards for gaming (basically what Razer did with the Belkin Nostromo N52 design). They really make a difference for comfort. I used an Orbweaver Stealth for quite some time when playing Battlefield 4. Really made a difference with regards to RSI. I'm currently using the rather dated but more comfortable, for me anyway, for a variety of purposes Logitech G13. I don't find the screen on it of that much use, but just feel my hand rests more ergonomically on it than the Orbweaver.

Back