The Best Wi-Fi Routers 2021

I got the AC68U for more than a year now. I could not be happier, best router I have ever got. Covers our 1100sq ft flat perfectly.Security features and the dashboard are brilliant.
I strongly recommend it.

Been using the AX88U for a few months now. Router is a beast, very stable and can handle my 1Gbps fiber connection. The AC68U was not up to the task once heavily taxing the connection.
Also this router support Merlin's firmware which is a must have an any asus router. If you see this on sale Iike I did grab it you won't be disappointed.

Been using the AX88U for a few months now. Router is a beast, very stable and can handle my 1Gbps fiber connection. The AC68U was not up to the task once heavily taxing the connection.
Also this router support Merlin's firmware which is a must have an any asus router. If you see this on sale Iike I did grab it you won't be disappointed.
My AC68U handles my 1Gbps fiber with no issue at all. What kind of issues did you experience?

I know the Netgear RBK50 is reviewed here, but my Netgear RBR50 was nothing short of disastrous, it would repeatedly lose it's Internet/WAN connection, and the only recourse was a hard reboot. I (and others) tried to get support for this issue, but none came. I can't ever see myself go back and spend $500 for a Netgear router. I use a Synology's mesh solution now, and could never be happier. BTW, I'm taking offers on my RBR50...

My AC68U handles my 1Gbps fiber with no issue at all. What kind of issues did you experience?

That will depend on if your connection is DHCP or PPP0E.

ON DHCP you will have all hardware acceleration on CTF+FA unless you enable something like QOS or the traffic monitoring that will turn it off.

My ISP does fiber via PPP0E which only allows CTF.

CTF+FA = hardware acceleration
CTF only = Software Acceleration

So for PPP0E and CTF only when I was taxing the connection so heavy downloads and uploads cpu % would skyrocket as the acceleration is only done in software, and if I have other things running like a vpn everything combined would cause abit of slowdown.

The AX88U allows for Hardware Acceleration on PPP0E so it solved my issue and I was due for a hardware upgrade anyways since previous router had a good 5 year run.

Last edited:
I had picked a few months ago this year 2019 the Google | TP-LINK On Hub Router It's really part of the JetStream devices from TP-LINK. $54 bucks. Dual core 1.4 GHz NPU/CPU 1GB RAM 4GB Flash/ROM. SSID 2.4/5GHz. 13 circular Array pattern ANT/+1 BT/ +1 for Etc. Google WiFi App on Android/iOS use to admin this device. 1900 mbps. For my needs here I got about 18 devices in my house connected. This router is conntected to my TP-LINK TL-SG3216 16-port GB L2 Managed Switch with 2 Combo SFP slots for fiber optic.

I have no issues with On Hub works and solved a lot of issues with the older TP-LINK ER6120 SafeStream Dual WAN port it had only 350MHz NPU/CPU 512MB of RAM. It was okay for the 7 years of ownership. Rack mounted. The OnHub alert glowing ring (blue, orange, green) on top is amazing along with light amber sensor there is speaker on top too. Cover for the unit I keep that off for extra cooling. My speed test are 135 Mbps down and 10 to 12 mbps up. Comcast just gave everyone for free additional 50 Mbps down so that would give me 200 Mbps but they want me now to replace my cable modem to DOCSIS 3.1 GB. My old one is DOCSIS 3.0 GB. Just to get that extra 50. I can peak at 150 Mbps. Right now WiFi is really strong. Extra BT increase my BT range in the house so I can use my UFO in my ear that's a dual battery 16 hrs BT 5 ear mic/spk.

Anyway online gaming no more lag or jittering. Youtube videos play smoothly again. I like the fact that I can change the DNS 8.8.8.8 to something more faster and stable. Which I did using GRC DNS Benchmark tool found online.

That will depend on if your connection is DHCP or PPP0E.

ON DHCP you will have all hardware acceleration on CTF+FA unless you enable something like QOS or the traffic monitoring that will turn it off.

My ISP does fiber via PPP0E which only allows CTF.

CTF+FA = hardware acceleration
CTF only = Software Acceleration

So for PPP0E and CTF only when I was taxing the connection so heavy downloads and uploads cpu % would skyrocket as the acceleration is only done in software, and if I have other things running like a vpn everything combined would cause abit of slowdown.

The AX88U allows for Hardware Acceleration on PPP0E so it solved my issue and I was due for a hardware upgrade anyways since previous router had a good 5 year run.

Ohh man you are telling things that I don't know much about. :)
You just made sure my late evening program for today to read about CTF.
Thanks pal!!

I think this is a really skewed set of recommendations when it comes to best for most people and budget.
I have a TP-Link C20 (AC750) and it does everything I need--full coverage in my 1600 square foot, 3 bedroom house and it supplies my full 25mbps/15mbps connection speeds. It was less than $28. A big plus in my book is that it sips electricity (about 3 watts)
I can accept that others have greater demands and need stronger routers, but I suspect that this would meet the needs of most people who have a 75 mbps connection or slower and live in a house smaller than 2000 sq feet.

Heh. Netgear is such a crapshoot sometimes. And underpowered CPUs are second only to skimpy port provisioning on the list of stupid ways manufacturers sabotage their own products.

(By skimpy ports I mean 802.11n or ac routers that have 100Mbps LAN ports. Or even that one router reviewed above, not exactly a budget model, with "one USB2 and one USB3 port". WHY??*)

* — (The standard answers to that question are "heat" and "power". I'm not ignorant of the excuses they make, I guess I just don't buy them. Both heat and power are solvable problems, you're talking about a box that plugs into the wall not a battery device.)

Heh. Netgear is such a crapshoot sometimes. And underpowered CPUs are second only to skimpy port provisioning on the list of stupid ways manufacturers sabotage their own products.

(By skimpy ports I mean 802.11n or ac routers that have 100Mbps LAN ports. Or even that one router reviewed above, not exactly a budget model, with "one USB2 and one USB3 port". WHY??*)

* — (The standard answers to that question are "heat" and "power". I'm not ignorant of the excuses they make, I guess I just don't buy them. Both heat and power are solvable problems, you're talking about a box that plugs into the wall not a battery device.)

The only Netgear Router I ever owned was the R7000 and the only reason I bought it was because someone made a port of Asus Merlin firmware that will run on it. Other than that Netgear firmware is crap and I'm not a fan of most of their consumer products.

The fact that PFSense doesn't make the list is a very telling situation on what affiliate links and the links are for production of content. You CAN'T go wrong with setting up a PFSense Router along with a small business class switch and an AP or two. THAT will give you your best stability and bang for the buck over the long haul yet year after year this prepackaged garbage continues to be peddled as the best. Truly sad.

The fact that PFSense doesn't make the list is a very telling situation on what affiliate links and the links are for production of content. You CAN'T go wrong with setting up a PFSense Router along with a small business class switch and an AP or two. THAT will give you your best stability and bang for the buck over the long haul yet year after year this prepackaged garbage continues to be peddled as the best. Truly sad.

That is a different market.

Someone on this site may consider a x86 box running PFSense.

Average Joe will look for what they will find in Best buy which is one of these branded routers. I can buy one of these for a not to techy family member and they should be able to get it up and running without much assitance. Cannot say the same for the custom option which requires someone that will know how to troubleshoot incase you run into issues.

What is missing in these reviews is the help desk. Some times we mortals do have problems and need help.
I would never recommend *** us . I had a tablet that had problems and could not get a straight answer or decent solution from their help desk. What good is a good product is the help desk stinks?

I got the AC68U for more than a year now. I could not be happier, best router I have ever got. Covers our 1100sq ft flat perfectly.Security features and the dashboard are brilliant.
I strongly recommend it.
Same here. Upgraded from the AC52U. Great speeds, low latency connection and same UI ecosystem. Also lots of tweaks if you want to dive in.
Glad to see the 68U still holds up!

Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro Wireless Access Point

This is NOT a router. The name says it all. It is an Access Point. It does it very well but not a router.

I really wish the industry would come up with a better name for the rest of the devices....Because in reality they are 3 devices in one: Switch, Access Point, and Router

The only Netgear Router I ever owned was the R7000 and the only reason I bought it was because someone made a port of Asus Merlin firmware that will run on it. Other than that Netgear firmware is crap and I'm not a fan of most of their consumer products.
I own an R7000 now and its appalling. Yes it can be quite fast when it's behaving, but it is so unstable and needs constant restarts otherwise it gets really slow or just stops working completely. Every version of the firmware they produce makes it a little less stable. I cannot understand how this can be highly rated. Their forums are awash with people trying to find a stable firmware version. I'm back running a 2 year old version as that is the only thing that stays up for more than a few days... Never buy netgear consumer routers they are a mess.

I own an R7000 now and its appalling. Yes it can be quite fast when it's behaving, but it is so unstable and needs constant restarts otherwise it gets really slow or just stops working completely. Every version of the firmware they produce makes it a little less stable. I cannot understand how this can be highly rated. Their forums are awash with people trying to find a stable firmware version. I'm back running a 2 year old version as that is the only thing that stays up for more than a few days... Never buy netgear consumer routers they are a mess.

That because you are using Netgear firmware and its junk.

As soon as I unboxed the Router I loaded Merlin's firmware on it and it was rock solid for 4+ years.

After churning through various consumer grade routers, WAPs and range extenders over the years, I finally made the jump to Ubiquiti gear and I couldn't be happier.

Back