The computer does not start. AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelgadis85

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so thought I'd say hello. That's not what I originally came here for, though. I got the task to build a computer for my sister (I had previously built my own comp several years ago) and began work today. I got the components installed on the motherboard, no problem, but after installing the power supply and trying for a test run, I ran into a problem. Hitting the start switch does not start up the computer. At first I thought it might be a problem with the power supply unit (NEXUS NX-4090 400W) but then I noticed that there was a green LED on the motherboard that was supposed to say the computer is in standby mode. If the LED is turned green, it must mean the mobo gets power from the power supply unit, but why is it then that hitting the start button does not do a thing? I have checked the cables many times, so I don't think there's a problem there. I don't remember having this kind of problem back at the time I built my on computer. Any help would be appreciated, it's frustrating to spend many hours working on that only to see it does not start up. Thanks in advance.

Recheck the front panel connections they are probably no installed correctly.

Yeah , as iss said. Check your reset and power switch case connections to the mobo. Make sure you didn't switch them around on the mobo.
If you want you can use a screw driver to short the power switch pins on the mobo, then switch on the master power switch at the back of the power supply with the screw driver still shorting the pins. Everything should power up (unitl you remove the short).

kirock said:
If you want you can use a screw driver to short the power switch pins on the mobo, then switch on the master power switch at the back of the power supply with the screw driver still shorting the pins. Everything should power up (unitl you remove the short).

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it did me no good. I turned on the master power switch on the PSU while holding the screw driver connected to the pins but nothing special happened. The LED turned green but none of the fans (not the PSU one nor the CPU one) started spinning. I'm starting to think the PSU might be faulty, but since the shop I bought it is a far away, I'd try not to make the trip if not necessary. Any other ideas? I have to thank you already, though :)

iss said:
Recheck the front panel connections they are probably no installed correctly.

Believe me, I've redone them at least five times. I think it's not them anymore (I did think so at first)

I read your guide (twice since the first time was not that clear but I get it now) but I have a question, what should I use for wire in steps 1 and 2? and is it really safe to unplug the leads for power / reset switch (I take you were talking about those)? I mean, is it possible to put the lead back if needed?

For now I'll just wait, I need to know before doing such things to my sister's comp.. But thanks, it's nice to see people actually helping in internet forums (not much luck earlier but techspot seems to be a good place :))

EDIT: Tried step 2, at least with using a paper clip nothing seemed to happen.

EDIT 2: Step 3 seems not to work either. Seems like I have to take my own PSU for some testing to the other machine. If it works then there's no doubt the PSU is at fault, if not so then I'm out of leads. Maybe I just should have left this to the professionals, even if costs quite a bit...

Ok, sorry I'm at work so I missed your last post. If you pulled off the 20 pin mobo connector and then shorted pins 14 and 15 (the green wire and any black wire), then turned on the main power switch at the back and no fans came on...then you've definately got a problem/died PSU. If you proceeded to step 3 and still nothing then the psu is dead for sure.

A Nexus is a case power supply, they are the cheapest things on the planet.
(this planet anyways).;)

Now solved, thank you, people of TechSpot forums :D

kirock said:
Ok, sorry I'm at work so I missed your last post. If you pulled off the 20 pin mobo connector and then shorted pins 14 and 15 (the green wire and any black wire), then turned on the main power switch at the back and no fans came on...then you've definately got a problem/died PSU. If you proceeded to step 3 and still nothing then the psu is dead for sure.

A Nexus is a case power supply, they are the cheapest things on the planet.
(this planet anyways).;)

No problem. I took my Akasa PSU from the other comp and after installing it everything went just fine. Now I am making this entry from my sister's comp (finally managed to get up-to-date Windows, Virus protection and stuff..)

Anyways, I'd like to thank especially you, kirock, for helping me in solving this thing. I'm glad there are people like you around, they make this planet a lot better place to live. :D

You are very welcome zelgadis85 and you too are a very nice man, helping your sister and all. It would be a nicer world with more people like you in it.

Cheers.

HELP HELP HELP ! I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM !!! i got a new mobo vid card and heatsink got everything going was using the computer for a couple hours shut it down turned it off and took my computer home, ( was at a net cafe where my friend(owner) swapped my mobo etc. now it WAS working fine till i came home and plugged it in it's an asus a8n-sli deluxe,

i have the green light on the mobo , i've tried their troubleshooting but nothing seems to work , please help me asap,,

aim xmartyr519x
msn guerrillashavesouls@hotmail.com

Well let's start at the beginning and ensure the case switch leads are firmly plugged into the mobo connection point still (i.e didn't pop off on the move home).
If that's not it then go HERE and follow those steps so we can determine if you have a PSU issue.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back