The Crashinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AMD K6-2 500MHz on an ASUS PSA-B motherboard using a GeForce2 and a Creative PCI128 CT4815.

Now my dear AMD likes crashing. But not always, not entirely randomly but only when there is sound playing, or so I have experienced so far. After about 2 seconds into an mp3 for instance I get a keyboard/mouse lock-up with a half a second sound loop. The same thing happens in games. In a certain game it will sometimes lock-up when there is a voice over. In another quite randomly. Constructive use such as word processing has no problems. However I like music and games.

I reinstalled my OS(Windows 98 SE) twice, ensured I had the correct sound card drivers and yet the problem persists.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

simple solution would be to try a different soundcard if you can grab a cheap one somewhere. tho if that one is an onboard chip then i cant imagine thats the problem.

I have tried all the IRQ slots.

In system information it says my soundcard is in IRQ 9 and a PCI driver is in the same IRQ. Cound this be a problem. My network card has a PCI driver IRQ "conflict" as well but it works fine.

If there is a conflict I do not know how to change the IRQ to the only free IRQ number as there are no pins on the card. Is there another way?

You're a brave man to use a GeForce 2 GTS with that mainboard.

At one point before upgrading, I was using that same board ( Asus P5A based on the Ali 1541 chipset ) with a VooDoo3 & I sold to V3 to get a GeForce DDR ( my first Hercules card ;) ).

The GeForce was for my futur system but since I didn't have enough money at the time, I started using it on the P5A. The only way for it to be stable ( it would even hang while doing nothing ) was to lower the AGP speed to AGP 1x.

There's no area in the BIOS to set the AGP speed, at least it's not listed as that. Instead, you need to disable "AGP Turbo".

I also used a SB Live Value on that board though & it had never given any problems & I was using W98se too at the time. Try playing around with the PCI Latency value in the BIOS, or try out different chipset driver versions.

Here are two links for the integrated driver ( I suppose that has everything from AGP to DMA drivers ) :

M1541 Drivers for Windows 98SE ( 2.05 )
Link 1
Link 2

PS. In the BIOS you can also manually set certain IRQs for a specified PCI Slot.

Maybe its a heat issue...even with a older system like that no case cooling could lead to stablilty problems.try taking off the case cover or side panel and run a room fan on it and see if this helps.

Thanx for those drivers Didou. They seemed to do the trick. Hopefully everything works fine now.

The only reason I have a GeForce 2 in there is because I upgraded my other PC to a GeForce FX. Suprisingly it has never given me any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back