The dog ate my... ? What the... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one for the books! Every time my dog walks within 1-2 feet of my computer, it hangs?!?!?! I've confirmed this as it is completely repeatable and a proven activity. I have this little dog with lots of hair. My PC uses an acrylic see-through case from logisys, very cool looking. This does not happen when people are near the computer or any other activity.

I'm assuming the dog is creating static that is being transferred somehow to the acrylic case. I even put the computer on a rolling metal stand, but it keeps happening. The poor pooch isn't allowed into my office anymore.

In the mean time I've ordered a Antec 900 case and am thinking about getting a new PSU.

My geek neighbor thinks it is great fun to watch me gaming and then send the dog into my office in the midst of a pitched battle just to see my monitor freeze.

If anyone has any thoughts on why this is happening, I could really use a fresh perspective.

did you ground the components in the acrylic case?

normally in a metal case every component is grounded to the case itself (the ground wire on the PSU's AC input simply attaches to a screw inside the metal PSU enclosure, this also grounds the entire case once the PSU is installed).

to simulate a metal case you can run a wire from a PSU mounting screw to one of your motherboard headers, as well as anything else that would have been screwed directly to the PC case (HDD's, optical drives, video cards and any other I/O cards).

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back