The end of rambus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekid007

hi all

i just got bored the other day playing CS on my springdale system and all of a sudden, out of the blue, "WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN WITH RAMBUS?"

ever since intel replaced its flagship i850e rambus chipset with the i875P and a more mainstream i865PE, rambus has been in the shadows

i've also heard rumours about a sis chipset utilizing rambus 1200 (?) that theoretically boosts the bandwith to something like 8 gbps (correct me if im wrong)

so whats up with rambus nowadays? just curious

I read somewhere that rambus has a new type of ram comming out.I have pc1066 in this puter and dont know how I will replace it if it goes bad :dead: ,but I will look for that thread and let you know

Do you know, I am a computer network technician at a university, and I deal with all kinds of hardware and software all the time, and do you know....

....do you know that I think I have never even seen a RAMBUS module?

Maybe once I saw some machines that had those, along with an earlier Pentium III, I think. I think we bought maybe one lab of them somewhere.

EVERYTHING else I have seen is DDR-SDRAM. Even servers, etc.

Phantasm66, Me neither, never saw a Rambus module.

It's just silly how unpopular the technology has became...

Rambus is being sued by Intel and lots of other companies. They are in trouble. RDRAM is also being dropped by everyone.

That news article looks very much like the first announcments they made with the launch of the first rambus generation. It's very difficult to have 2 memory standards. Even now, more and more mobo's come with dual channel DDR, wich is very fast, specially in P4 systems where Rambus had the advantage. DDR is pushing hard and I doubt Rambus can compete in a mid-short term.

anything 8x

more bandwidth........... than any today's current high end memory,........ will get looked at............the partnership is with toshiba, and sony looking to buy...............i hate rambus, and their gestapo tactics, but, what,....... can you say..........xdr ram

I've worked on hundreds of computers in the past few months and I've seen a total of 2 computers with Rambus. Everything else was SD or DDR RAM.

RDRAM has always been great about pushing bandwidth to new heights, but other than that...

Thanks jsr for that link,I did edit my origanal post,was late.One thing that might be interesting if anyone can find it is rambus owns the pattents for most ram techs out

My system is only a P4 1.7Ghz and I'm getting ready to upgrade... but, its currently using:

System Memory 768 MB (PC800 RDRAM)

Motherboard Name Intel Garibaldi D850GB (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 RIMM)

It was never a standard format and only a few motherboards and models supported it. I'm glad it's gone.

very expensive.. as usual, I blew it and listened to someone elses recommendation.. its the hottest.. yeah, right....

frhrwa, 2 things.

1)You should make a new thread on the topic.

2)Scrap your entire system. It's terrible and old. Get a cheap Athlon 64, PCI-E motherboard, 1GB value DDR2 RAM, a 7600GT, a 250gig HDD, any old ATX case (you could reuse your current one), 450watt PSU from Enermax, Antec, PCP&C, Fortron or OCZ. There you go. New system for about $500.

I was just wondering why such an old thread came up....

Anyway, RAMBUS is history. I recommended it to someone before, and I kinda feel bad for the guy now.

Its not coming back anytime soon, if at all. But I reckon one of these days SD-RAM will be replaced, might not be RAMBUS.... Anyone heard of that parallel RAM or something?

Nah, I bet SD-RAM will continue. They've got DDR3 coming soon, and they are trying to make QDR (Quad Data Rate) RAM better, because at the moment, it won't run past about 400MHz QDR (100MHz) which is just like DDR400. And in the future, they will probably just keep increasing the data rate. Like ODR (Octo Data Rate).

HEy, im still using RDRAM (pc800), its so fast, no problem with my works!, bet u guyz, ddr cannot replace rdram though it was out from the market!

Well I miss Rambus, they were very creative.

You guys do realize this is a tread from 2003 right?

And well either way, they no longer exist. Bye RDRAM and Rimms and Rambus Bye!

agentx44 said:
HEy, im still using RDRAM (pc800), its so fast, no problem with my works!, bet u guyz, ddr cannot replace rdram though it was out from the market!

Nobody said they won't work, or they're slow. The problem with them is that you can't get 1gb sticks, and they're not really cost effective. I'd be surprised if you're running 1gb of RD-RAM in your system at the moment.

And yes, I did mention that this thread is really old, but either way, its nice to see what people thought of RAMBUS, years after the fact :D

Lol. I am well aware that computing technology moves really fast. But I didn't know they adopt new standards every second day...

I sincerely doubt RAMBUS will be coming back at all. Parallel RAM seems to be the next thing lined up. And it still uses SD RAM chips, just that they're accessed differently. I'd say if the standard changes, it'll probably go to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back