The Internet has made us all partisan wackos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
With the US Presidential Election now technically less than a week away, political fervor is at an all time high, but not only in pubs, barber shops, and around the water cooler. No, this time around we're seeing a new serious stage for political fighting: the web. While politics have pretty much always been a part of the "Internet experience," many people think that the Internet is becoming a massive force in politics, and by politics, I mean partisanship.

Now, one might see this as a result of more and more people getting online, and getting hooked on Internet discussions and the like. Indeed, looking back at history we can see how the advent of television also massively influenced the way in which politics entered the public sphere. Still, others would would also point to the current political climate and the general consensus that the country is more divided than ever. And then some, like John Dvorak, would just blame the Internet. In typical Dvorak style, the longtime columnist opens up his November 2nd "Special Report" with his patented "I'm putting Nostradamus out of business" style.
Good, even funny read:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041026-4349.html

Interesting.

Though it doesn't say why europeans aren't allowed to acccess www.georgewbush.com
I was looking to download a few tv-ads for a meeting tomorrow, but going through a proxy was just too much of a hassle.

There's always the Google.com cache to try to find the reason for it.

The only thing I can see on there at first glance is the bush campaign repeatedly and openly calling kerry a liar, at least, in a round and about way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back