The most fragmented drive.....

Spike

OK, I used system Mechanic 4.0h when these figures came to light, but...

What's the worst fragmentation you've experienced on your drive due to neglecting your PC maintenance? (I know, but I've been using it constantly, and if it hasn't been me, it's been my lady.)

C:\ (data) = 25% fragmentation
D:\ (windows) = 78% fragmentation (MFT in 20 pieces!!!)
E:\ (data 2) = 26%
F:\ (data 3) = 11%

And I wondered why SiSandra rated my file system badly! lol
:eek:

Can anybody do any better? (or worse, as it is probably better described)

none of mine ever make it beyond around 25-30%. I set aside one day out of every month to perform maintanence, cleaning up registry, purging unneeded files, checking that things are updated, check fragmentation and defrag as needed, etc. 25% is the point where I try to defrag.
I have however seen some at close to 100% fragmentation, people who let a drive get that bad should be shot, its just not even funny.

Guilty as charged! (gets ready for the firing party)

To be honest, it's the first time EVER I have let it get that bad. It's not happening again, mainly because I know I'ts going to take hours to defrag it (but that's down to the fact I'm defragging it with third party software, to set it back to some sort of normal form. I don't find the XP defragger to be all that good when things get up towards 25-30%. It never seems to finish the job.)

The alarming thing is, It's only taken a few months to get this bad. (probably due to the constant downloading and deleting of files). I honestly didn't expect it to get so bad so soon.

Drive C: is 10 GB. It's been defragging now for about 1.5 hours.

This is from my previous 2nd machine, it's not running that OS anymore :p

The quality of the image is what it is because the screenshot was taken via a TV card.

fragged.png

OK, bit of advice. DON'T think that the defragger of system mechanic will report an accurate level of fragmentation. According to diskeeper, it was only 40% (still pretty high though) instead of 78%.

Also, do you think the small size of my partitions might have anything to do with the reason they fragmented so quickly?

Attachments

• diskeeper.gif
    diskeeper.gif
    52.2 KB · Views: 14
The meaningfulness fragmentation percentage depends a lot on the content of the drive and how the app happens to calculate it. If you have 2 files on a partition and both of them are in 2 fragments then a dumb proggie happily tells you that you have 100% fragmentation since all files are fragmented.

Fragmentation of my downloads partition according to Norton Speed Disk.

frag.JPG

Just checked through disk management in 2K, and this was as bad as I could find...

defrag.jpg

It's only used for downloading and store tv-episodes, and as such has no real need for being defragmented though...

But my c:\ drive is another matter entirely!
/me starts defrag on C:\ and picks a 1 000 page long book hoping it'll last until defrag is finished.... ;)

I dont remember the stats on my fragmentation levels, i was too shocked by the red on the graph, quite like Mr Garibaldi. I used that partition to store photos and music files. The result of neglecting the malady that had struck my HDD was so painful that, i simply could not open any file without having to wait for minutes.Mine is a recent purchase, a 120GB drive. I dont understand how people can say that this is not vital to todays disks. Check out this article which calls it a myth! Either its too old to have significance or these guys dont use their HDDs for anything at all.

Back