The New 8800GTS 512mb (G29) reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer~freak~

Hey Guys once agian i found a review for a new graphics card I guess julio or the rest of the gang have not found it yet soo i'll post some info of it and ill give you guys a link to it :

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/2

The following has been taken from: www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/2
ENJOY
Regards Josh,

Thoughts on the card:

It shouldn’t come as any real surprise that the new G92 based 8800GTS is quite the performer. This really opens up a whole lot of questions though, and how exactly NVIDIA attack the market with this card will be interesting as well.

NVIDIA always takes pride in having stock when the NDA is lifted, and it doesn’t look like this is going to be any different. A few suppliers have told us that they have ordered their stock and come December 11th they will be shipping their cards off to the local retailers.

This is all good and well, but the 8800GT had stock for about five minutes. Will we see the same issue with the new 8800GTS 512MB? Well, for starters the card is going to cost about $50 - $100 USD more than the RRP of the 8800GT. The problem is that the 8800GT is in such short supply that the card’s price has been jacked up $50 - $75 USD meaning that the card could almost come in at the same price.

This is what I personally think will happen all over again; the 8800GT 512MB will be gone. NVIDIA have released it and caused a big drama by getting everyone excited and taking the attention away from the 3870.

The 256MB version of the 8800GT will come out and of course it won’t be as good as the 512MB version, though it should run off the already well established name. The GTS will come in on December 11th and be fairly well priced at around $299 - $349 USD.

We all know that the majority of graphics card purchases are going to happen between now and probably up until around the 20th of December. After that, retailers are going to hit a dry spell for the simple fact that if you could hold off from purchasing a graphics card just before Christmas you can hold off until we see the new NVIDIA based DX10 cards come in January.

I could be wrong though, maybe the 8800GTS 512MB will come out on December 11th and we will see a bucket load of 8800GT 512MB stock pop up at the same time, but with local Australian distributors’ back orders sitting in the 100s and stock coming in the 10s I can’t see how that’s going to change in the next week or two.

With all that said though, what are our thoughts on the 8800GTS 512MB? Well, quite frankly we love it. It’s a good step up from the 8800GT if you’re venturing into 1920 x 1200 territory, and the card also manages to do better with less noise and heat which is always great.

The 3870 and 8800GT will continue to battle it out, but even with a decent driver update it’s probably safe to say that 3870 performance isn’t going to catch up to the 8800GTS 512MB. That’s ok though, as the card is not only cheaper than the 8800GTS but also the 8800GT. What’s more, stock availability is much healthier.

We thought we would do a quick little overclock of the card before we wrapped things up. With a core speed of 720MHz and 2104MHz DDR on the 512MB of GDDR3 we managed to climb up and over 14,500 in 3DMark06. It will be interesting to see what the likes of BFG and ASUS do with their OC2 and TOP models respectively.

8800GTX stock has pretty much dried up and is overpriced now. The Ultra is just an absolute sick waste of money and the 3870 really has nothing on the new G92 based variant of the 8800GTS. This means that if you’re looking for a top video card this Christmas the 8800GTS 512MB is probably going to be the card you’re looking at.
Talking Spec

SPECS:

Getting down to the nitty gritty there are some key details we should make mention of. Based on the new G92 core, we have the standard features to come with it such as PCI Express 2.0, a 65nm die and 1:1 texture addressing units : texture filtering units.

These are the features we know to be standard across all of the upcoming 8800GTS G92 based graphics cards, but as far as model specifics go we have in this case 512MB of GDDR3 memory. That 512MB comes clocked in at 1940MHz DDR while the core and shader clocks come in at 650MHz and 1625MHz respectively.

The memory bus comes in at a reduced 256-bit like the 8800GT, which is oddly enough down from the original 8800GTS 320/640 which had with it a 320-bit bus.

Not all is lost though! To put the speed into comparison the 8800GT sports 512MB of DDR3 memory at 1800MHz DDR and with a core speed of 600MHz. The 320MB/640MB DDR3 8800GTS cards came in with a memory speed of 1600MHz DDR and a core speed of 500MHz.

Wow thats a great review! I think im still going to go with an xfx 8800gt, the speeds of the xfx version are slightly higher than the other 8800gt models.
I wish i had the extra 70 bucks or so for the new 8800gts.

Thanks man !

well in the review they do say that the card might come out december 11 so if u save $70 on the side u might be able to buy a GTS either way they are both exellent cards which ever you chose to buy

for the performance gains the new gts offers, you might as well stick to the GT and just overclock the little bugger and get the same performance for the lower price.

of course, the performance of the two cards is so similar it's barely worth switching to the gts. with the games that have more intense graphics, the differences were maybe 2-10 frames. and on other games, it was never a difference of more than 20 frames. and they were already in excess of 100 frames anyway.

for what its worth, i'll stick to the GT and save that 70 bucks to buy some RAM or the Orange Box or something.

Computer~freak~ said:
well in the review they do say that the card might come out december 11 so if u save $70 on the side u might be able to buy a GTS either way they are both exellent cards which ever you chose to buy

The thing is, at the moment im about 40 bucks away from 350 dollers, so i could get it. The thing is i still have to go buy christmas presents for my family wich will be about 130 dollers total. So im just not shure if i should wait till i have more moeny or just stick with the xfx 8800gt with a 650 clock, and 1900 mem clock.

link590o said:
for the performance gains the new gts offers, you might as well stick to the GT and just overclock the little bugger and get the same performance for the lower price.

of course, the performance of the two cards is so similar it's barely worth switching to the gts. with the games that have more intense graphics, the differences were maybe 2-10 frames. and on other games, it was never a difference of more than 20 frames. and they were already in excess of 100 frames anyway.

for what its worth, i'll stick to the GT and save that 70 bucks to buy some RAM or the Orange Box or something.

I think im going to just stick with the 8800gt, from what i see in the reviews the g92 8800gts only gets about 15 to 20 higher fps than the 8800gt. Ill just overlclock the 8800gt to the same speeds. Thanks!

ya most in mkost of the games the fps are already over 100 so with the 15-20 fps difference i wont really notice much.

Im gunna also stick with it and save the 70 bucks, mabey buy a better/ quieter cooler for it.

Thanks for the imput !

i so desperately want to play portal and bioshock and half life 2 that i'm saving whatever i can so i can buy those games and the GT. then i'll go into hiding for a few weeks while i beat my games.

take a look at the crap i'm working with now, and you'll see why. i haven't had anything better than this, so i couldn't play hardcore games like those. and now that i'm buying a new system, i'm going to enjoy them in all their glory. and with an 8800gt under the hood, i will be unstoppable.

link590o said:
i so desperately want to play portal and bioshock and half life 2 that i'm saving whatever i can so i can buy those games and the GT. then i'll go into hiding for a few weeks while i beat my games.

take a look at the crap i'm working with now, and you'll see why. i haven't had anything better than this, so i couldn't play hardcore games like those. and now that i'm buying a new system, i'm going to enjoy them in all their glory. and with an 8800gt under the hood, i will be unstoppable.

Same here, ive been so intent on saving up for the 8800gt that i havnt bought any new games, like bioshock, for a long time! The only game i got recently is crysis, because my friend bought me a copy. I already have hl2 so im just going to get bioshock and mabey cod4 after i get the card. Then i will to go into hiding.

Dam man i feel sorry for you! A couple of months ago i was running a pentium 4, and i had less ram, You should be able to play those games pretty well once you get the 8800gt. Are you buying a whole new system or just a new card?

i'm buying a whole new system. exact specs:
intel core 2 duo e6750 2.66ghz
gigabyte nforce 650i sli motherboard
antec earthwatts 500watt power supply
Gskill memory 2x 1gig sticks
arctic silver 5 compound
Cooler Master RC 690 KKN1-GP ATX mid tower 3x 120mm fans installed

that brings it to 534.93. which means i'll buy the bulk of the system first. then wait until my birthday or so and ask for more money and buy a gt and maybe some more RAM. and then...GAME TIME

Must...have...card...*drool* haha

Man...the power you get for the price you pay is insane...I need this card.

link590o said:

350 dollars for a card for what you want to do is pretty good. My card is simply overkill for the games you mentioned. I mean, i guess there's no such things as overkill in this aspect. But I've played bioshock, HL2 and had really high frame rates on high settings, the gt model you want to get would do very well with those games.

link590o said:
i'm buying a whole new system. exact specs:
intel core 2 duo e6750 2.66ghz
gigabyte nforce 650i sli motherboard
antec earthwatts 500watt power supply
Gskill memory 2x 1gig sticks
arctic silver 5 compound
Cooler Master RC 690 KKN1-GP ATX mid tower 3x 120mm fans installed

that brings it to 534.93. which means i'll buy the bulk of the system first. then wait until my birthday or so and ask for more money and buy a gt and maybe some more RAM. and then...GAME TIME

Nice man ! now all you need is the games and the card

supersmashbrada said:
350 dollars for a card for what you want to do is pretty good. My card is simply overkill for the games you mentioned. I mean, i guess there's no such things as overkill in this aspect. But I've played bioshock, HL2 and had really high frame rates on high settings, the gt model you want to get would do very well with those games.

Ya that ultra must be wizin through games.

if i can just overclock it and get the same performance as any of the other 8800s, then what's the point in spending extra money? 250 dollars for that gt is an amazing deal.

and yes it may be considered overkill, but when you've worked with the lowest of the low for so long, you'll want to desperately want to try the highest of the high. see what i mean?

link590o said:
if i can just overclock it and get the same performance as any of the other 8800s, then what's the point in spending extra money? 250 dollars for that gt is an amazing deal.

and yes it may be considered overkill, but when you've worked with the lowest of the low for so long, you'll want to desperately want to try the highest of the high. see what i mean?

Ya i know what you mean, i will overclock mine too.

Same here for about 3 years i was using a pentium 4, a old radeon video card, and 512 mb ram. This year i just started shooting for the best, it took me alot of moeny, and now theres only a few more things that i have to get.

y'know...i'm actually overall not surprised by how that card performs. considering the 8800s are all similar, just with different levels of memory and slight differences in drivers and stuff like that, i'm not surprised that two 512 mb variants performed almost identically.

i should've seen it coming come to think of it...

can't wait for the 9800. if that thing is priced the same or any better than the GT, i know what i'm buying for my system :D

link590o said:
y'know...i'm actually overall not surprised by how that card performs. considering the 8800s are all similar, just with different levels of memory and slight differences in drivers and stuff like that, i'm not surprised that two 512 mb variants performed almost identically.

i should've seen it coming come to think of it...

can't wait for the 9800. if that thing is priced the same or any better than the GT, i know what i'm buying for my system :D

I agree.

Ya the 9800 will be great! But i just dont know if they will price it that low, I WISH !!

Ill get the 9800 once the price drops a little bit, or ill find a good deal online.
Untill then im going 8800gt

one thing is for DAMN sure. the GT is now the new x1950. it used to be that the 1950 provided good punch for the price and still proved to be a great card in comparison to many generations of cards afterward.

it looks to me like the GT is now taking that spot, and will for quite a while until they hit a ceiling as far as graphics can go. the only feasible thing for it now would be for graphics cards to pump out more pixels, textures and stuff at a faster speed to keep up with the times.

link590o said:
one thing is for DAMN sure. the GT is now the new x1950. it used to be that the 1950 provided good punch for the price and still proved to be a great card in comparison to many generations of cards afterward.

it looks to me like the GT is now taking that spot, and will for quite a while until they hit a ceiling as far as graphics can go. the only feasible thing for it now would be for graphics cards to pump out more pixels, textures and stuff at a faster speed to keep up with the times.

Ya i could have bought the x1950 a month ago, but ive never really been much of an ATI guy.

Hmm mabey if they have a Gforce 10 series it will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back