The NTSB is 'unhappy' with Tesla's release of 'investigative information' regarding March...

Polycount

Staff

The past few weeks have been particularly trying for the self-driving car industry. This is due in no small part to a recent incident involving a self-driving Uber vehicle which crashed into pedestrian Elaine Herzberg in Tempe, Arizona on March 18.

However, Uber isn't the only company embroiled in a self-driving vehicle controversy. On March 23, a Tesla vehicle crashed into a median on Highway 101 in Mountain View, California while autopilot was engaged. The crash led to the tragic death of driver Wei Huang.

In the interest of transparency, Tesla was quick to reveal details about the crash including the fact that the driver apparently had his hands off the wheel for six seconds prior to the incident - something Tesla has warned against on multiple occasions. Tesla's customers might appreciate this transparency but government investigators feel quite differently.

"...the NTSB is unhappy with the release of investigative information by Tesla..."

"In each of our investigations involving a Tesla vehicle, Tesla has been extremely cooperative on assisting with the vehicle data," a US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) spokesperson said in a statement to the Washington Post. "However, the NTSB is unhappy with the release of investigative information by Tesla. The NTSB is looking into all aspects of this crash including the driver's previous concerns about the Autopilot."

As noted by Engadget, the NTSB spokesperson's latter statement is likely referring to concerns Huang previously expressed to a Tesla dealership regarding the erratic nature of his Model X's autopilot system. At the time, Huang reportedly said his Model X swerved toward the very same median at an earlier date.

With that in mind, the NTSB is likely looking to rule out the possibility that Tesla's autopilot system itself led to the crash instead of driver error as the company's previous statements suggested.

Permalink to story.

NTSB - can someone clarify what rights to control of information that this agency may assert? I believe this is a new area for them and perhaps they need to define things for others.

If they didn't have a judge slap a gag order on the issue, the Fed is powerless to do anything .... besides, people are going to read the report anyway and decide for themselves so what's all the fuss?

All this tells me is that the guy didn't have his hands on the wheel, he even knew that when he went pas that particular exit, the vehicle swerved toward the barrier.

I mean how more at fault does the driver need to be to clear Tesla of this crash? Autopilot does not mean you don't have to pay attention, it's not a self driving vehicle.

I don't understand why this story is getting so hyped up when it was clearly driver error.

My condolences to the drivers family.

Back