The price of 144Hz monitors keeps falling

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: While many companies talk about how amazing titles look in 4K, most PC gamers would rather have a higher refresh rate than a 3840 x 2160 resolution. Thankfully, the price of 144Hz gaming monitors fell last year, and that trend is continuing throughout 2019.

DigiTimes reports that the average cost of a 144Hz panel decreased by 10 percent last year and has dropped another 5 percent in 2019. With more Chinese companies now challenging gaming panel industry leaders Samsung Display, LG Display, and AU Optronics, those prices are expected to keep on falling.

Recommended: Best Value FreeSync Monitors for GeForce Owners 

Chinese panel makers such as BOE Technology, CPC-Panda LCD Technology, and China Star Optoelectronics Technology recently started producing their own gaming panels, spurred by government policy support and the large profit generated from these products.

Global shipments of gaming panels increased over 60 percent to 6.1 million units in 2018, and the added competition has seen the price of 144Hz models go down. As such, it’s expected that more gamers will opt for these monitors, while major suppliers could focus on models with refresh rates of 165Hz to 240Hz, meaning the price for these panels could also eventually drop.

While gamers used to be faced with a choice of a 4K panel or a 144Hz refresh rate, there are now monitors, such as the Acer Predator X27 and Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ, that offer both features—though they don’t come cheap.

While 1440p@144Hz (or higher) is considered the sweet spot, 1920 x 1080 remains the resolution of choice for around 62 percent of Steam users. And thanks to better-value, more powerful graphics cards such as the GTX 1660 Ti, people might be encouraged to upgrade to new and improved monitors.

Permalink to story.

"..most PC gamers would rather have a higher refresh rate than a 3840 x 2160 resolution."

True dat. Been gaming at 1440k for a couple of years now and love it. I've sat on a couple of friends 4k machines and the visual difference is marginal at best. Especially considering they typically have to turn down some graphic options in order to get a decent 4k performance.

I went for 4k displays, as I don't only use my PC for gaming. The real estate is fantastic (obviously) and games sure are beautiful. I just started playing Apex and have been messing with Freesync. It all looks great, but if I were after strictly gaming experience I'd go 1440 144hz no doubt.

I got my 144 hz monitor, 1 ms response time, a few years ago. I bought it for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A twitch melee multiplayer game. You have to edit a few lines to get 120 fps. But it's well worth it. Huge difference. And my monitor does not even have g-sync or free sync.

At 1080p 144 fps at high-max settings can be a challenge, even on older games. I haven't played anything new in a while. I really don't game much anymore.

I've read some extreme gamers use old crt monitors for the 300 fps at low res.

"..most PC gamers would rather have a higher refresh rate than a 3840 x 2160 resolution."

True dat. Been gaming at 1440k for a couple of years now and love it. I've sat on a couple of friends 4k machines and the visual difference is marginal at best. Especially considering they typically have to turn down some graphic options in order to get a decent 4k performance.
Yup. I'm still sitting at 1080p (24", so pixel density is still solid) and regularly hit 144+FPS in modern games on my 1080 Ti. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'll eventually upgrade to 1440p when a next-gen GPU launches that offers the same experience, but until then...

You mean now the Chines have ripped off everyone eleses IP, they are cloning, sorry making their own versions.

I haven’t used a 1080p monitor since ever, even my CRT monitors was 1920 x 1440.
Wake me when they have 120Hz 1440p HDR10+ IPS monitors with full 100% aRGB.

I work and game on 4k monitors. Games look awesome and there is no substitute for square inches (my primary is a 50" samsung ju7100 4k tv. I came from console play so 60fps is more than adequate for my gaming style (Squad and Post Scriptum are my favorites right now). I was thinking of getting a widescreen 144hz screen for stuff like Battlefield 1/4/5, so I am happy to see prices dropping. Whoever said the chinese are stealing IP, that's what you get when you build your products in Chinese factories. As a consumer, bring on the clones.

Most monitors fell in price in general, you can get a freesync 2 4k hdr 350 nit 144hz acer 27 inch display today at $999 and $1599 for the asus gsync 1000 nits version at microcenter. Even the 240hz displays fell in price to around $350 with adaptive sync technology at 1080p. The 3440x1440p with gsync at 120hz alienware fell to around $819.
I never thought I would say this thank you Nvidia for allowing us to use freesync with their gpus.
FYI Dell is having a sale on their Alienware monitors now.

Last edited:
I'd also say it's partly due to LCD panel manufacturers price gouging the fact cheaper solutions can come along with smaller fabs and produce panels goes in part to showing how little cost they are to produce in the first place and how premium pricing from larger manufacturers has become a rediculous norm we seen the same thing for HDTVs when Vizio hit offering low cost sets for fair prices with advanced features. How long has 1080p been the mainstream norm even though 1440p and GPUs that can easily do it are under $300 with ultrawide that has been gaining market ground over the last 3 years. For years they have been selling IPS panels with rediculous black light bleed while selling the cherry picked better versions for workstation quality products with rediculous profit margins.

Nothing about my 1ms 24" 1080p 144Hz XL2430T makes me want a Freesync or G-Sync monitor. At the risk of being laughed at, I think FS and GS are gimmicks and only disguise underpowered GPU's and allow you to keep that underpowered GPU longer.

Back