The real way to OC/run cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitch

Well I feel like a *****

Recently went to a LAN party, and arrived to discover why host said bring a coat. Turns out we were gaming in his non-heated cement basement...in January. Where I live we don't get snow often but we hit a hearty 30 degrees f.

Getting to my point, I've always been so busy moving cables, getting new fans, applying proper thermal paste, that I never even considered the ambient temperature in the room. Well my core temps got cut in half and my friend running an Opteron 165 got down to a core temp of 14c while my x2 3800+ was at a healthy 20

so if anyone wants to overclock their computers, take your machine outside, in a basement, or a garage, and overclock that sucker till it bleeds!

PS-I always have my window open now to run my PC cooler :)

Ok, I see two fundamental problems with that.

First off, I don't know very many geeks who like using their computers under hypothermic conditions. Or maybe it's just because I'm from the south :)

Second, that method works all well and good until summer rolls around. Then you can use the air conditioning to cool the house down to 30 degrees F and use your new OC'd machine to run an email spamming business so you can pay your electric bill.

On a little more serious note though, interestingly enough, I did see an article (don't remember where) talking about how a lot of companies with massive data centers (google, etc.) are now considering building new data centers in Canada and Alaska for that very reason.

There is a big xserve system about to be put into use at the south pole, although its actually doing work for reasearch at the south pole. Just read an article earlier this week on it.

haha thats cool about alaska and the south pole (haha "cool")

yea i didnt thought about the summer thing and just hoped no one would notice

ive since closed my window and got a blanket

Kitch said:
haha thats cool about alaska and the south pole (haha "cool")

yea i didnt thought about the summer thing and just hoped no one would notice

ive since closed my window and got a blanket
Haha. When I open my window my gfx card drops to 40C load, which is where it normally idles. Well, atleast during the winter =).

My X2 3800+ at 2.75GHz never busts 50C now, so I don't really need to open the window.

I've been keeping my apt at 59-61F all winter, the only time its warmer is if its sunny and I can get enough light in through a window to warm the place up. I don't have a temp monitor for my comp, but I'm sure its liking the low ambient temp. I've gotten pretty used to this temperature too, and if I get cold I just put on an insulated shirt. Hardest part is getting out of bed into the cold air in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back