the registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am to say the least new.........so heres my question:is it possible to clean the registry without having to pay for a program that scans my pc and says i have over 2000 errors?

Watch out! if it is one of those popups on the net that says you have errors then beware! There are many Spyware programs that claim to fix your registry that dont. If you want helpful advice on which one to pick. Visit the programs section HERE

Personally, I use RegistryFix 5.5. It works like a dream and has a trial version.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Yes, the Ccleaner programme can do that for free.

Download the Ccleaner programme from HERE.

Run the programme and make sure all the boxes are ticked under the Windows and Applications tabs. Click the run cleaner button with no browsers open. Do this several times. Click on issues, then the scan for issues button. Click the fix selected issues button, followed by the fix all selected issues button. Do this several times, until no more issues are found.

When prompted if you would like to backup your registy, I suggest you do so, that way you can restore it should you encounter any problems after cleaning.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

It's possible, but you'd better be very careful and know where to look for errors.
The most common errors can be found under the subheadings of software. When this is expanded, the registry will list all software by brand name or manufacturer of programs which are either still on your hard drive, or have been uninstalled/deleted and yet still appear within the registry.
For example, my daughter loaded American McGee's Alice a couple years ago, and then uninstalled it. It was completely gone from C drive, but it still appeared under add or remove programs. The only way I could permanently remove any instance of it was to use regedit and carefully pan through all the software tabs for it's references. When I found them, I manually deleted those folders ONLY by right[clicking on them and then deleting them. This cleared the problem and the reference to the game no longer showed up in the add/remove software program.
Other errors with the registry are not a visible. For these, I would suggest a registry editing program. For the obvious, as long as you are careful, patient and have an idea of what you are looking for (leftover software in the HKEY_Class Root strings, it is possible.

i dl'd the cc cleaner........

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Yes, the Ccleaner programme can do that for free.

Download the Ccleaner programme from HERE.

Run the programme and make sure all the boxes are ticked under the Windows and Applications tabs. Click the run cleaner button with no browsers open. Do this several times. Click on issues, then the scan for issues button. Click the fix selected issues button, followed by the fix all selected issues button. Do this several times, until no more issues are found.

When prompted if you would like to backup your registy, I suggest you do so, that way you can restore it should you encounter any problems after cleaning.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
should i also check the advanced tab?

i have a dell dimension desktop 2300
i try to update all the drivers to no luck.........everytime i try it says no update available........yet i ran this online prgram and it showed numerous updates needed!
how do i find them?

go to the manufacturer's websites themselves.

Eg: www.ati.com www.asus.com etc.

Most of the time, the manufacturer's website got more updated drivers available before Microsoft's windows updates get them. In your case, I'd start with going to www.dell.com and go to Support/Downloads section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back