The "world's first GPU" has been recreated in Lego form

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: If, like me, you consider yourself a veteran of PC gaming (I.e., old) and have been tinkering with computers since the 90s, you’ll probably have fond memories of the GeForce 256, the graphics card that Nvidia called the “world’s first GPU.” Now, it’s been recreated in Lego form.

Released on October 11, 1999, the card was the first to carry Nvidia’s ‘GeForce’ brand name. But its biggest claim to fame is being the world’s first GPU—3D game accelerators existed before its release, but the term GPU, or graphics processing unit, did not. Nvidia defined the term as “a single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines that is capable of processing a minimum of 10 million polygons per second.”

The project comes from Twitter user @Bhaal_Spawn, who’s also behind several other Lego creations inspired by classic pieces of PC hardware. We saw her 3Dfx Voodoo 3D accelerator card back in March, which has been submitted to Lego’s Ideas website, in which fan creations are turned into actual new Lego products. It’s currently 2,321 votes toward the 10,000 target, and there are still 517 days left to vote.

Bhaal_Spawn, who describes herself as "the weirdo who brought you the LEGO Sound Blaster," has also made a Lego Gravis Ultrasound. "I can’t remember why I started making them. It felt like a fun idea at the time! I like drawing and making things, and PC gaming has always been an inspiration since I first played Sim City in 1990," she told PC Gamer.

The GeForce 256 was built on the 220nm manufacturing process, whereas modern GPUs range from 14nm to 7nm. It also boasted 50 gigaflops of floating point calculations, whereas the RTX 2080 Ti has 14.2 teraflops. Technology has come a long way in the last 20 years.

As for her next project, Bhaal_Spawn said: "People keep asking me to make a motherboard to put them on. So we shall see!"

Permalink to story.

Means very little compared to the Voodoo Graphics, released 3 years earlier. Plus a whole heap of others around that time..

I like Legos AND PC tech, for sure, but this just isn't very cool. Also regarding making a board to put it in, based on the way they designed the card connector, there's no way to make a proper slot for it. IMHO the execution of this set is a flop.

Had this card hahah
in both 32MB SDR and 64MB DDR.

Back when pcb were green or brown with a 40-60mm fan, which ran at max speed all the time...
I was a all-in-wonder user myself back then. I was definitely team red from the 90s all the way through 2013 but once I needed top end (instead of the mid level stuff I'd been using for a decade or more) I had no option but to go "green" been with Nvidia ever since.

I don't know if Radeon ever held the top spot (I know all the cards I had were considered best bang for your buck for sure) but ever since I could afford the "top spot" they have not.

Now where am I gonna put THAT ? lo wang talks. playing heavy games
whith WANggggggg + yeah. im a tiny grasshopper just to tell 1st gf 3 with realtime rendering. amd card was.....too x600-x800

Last edited:
It's possible I've wasted more money on (almost immediately) useless LEGOS than PC parts.

Inspired to create a functioning LEGO PC with all our stock though...

I must say, it does look like the GeForce 256 SDR 32MB I had in my 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird haha. Some good memories for us gamers who are close to entering middle age for sure

Back