The Xbox One X will natively support 1440p displays

midian182

Staff member

After what seems like the longest wait ever, the Xbox One X finally arrives next week. While we know about its 4K capabilities, there are plenty of other details we’ve yet to discover. But thanks to Xbox group program manager Kevin Gammill, a new feature has been revealed: the console will natively support 1440p monitors.

It was suspected that the Xbox One X would take the same route as the PlayStation 4 Pro, which, when plugged into a 1440p monitor while playing 4K games, upscales the 1080p image—a technique that doesn’t really provide the best picture possible.

Answering a question on the subject, Gammill tweeted “On X, we will effectively output native over HDMI in this case at 1440p.”

This comes as welcome news for anyone who intends on using their 1440p monitor with an Xbox One X. Whether it also means the console will support AMD’s FreeSync variable refresh rate technology remains to be seen, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. Microsoft hasn’t made any announcements about FreeSync, but the company took its time in revealing the 1440p native support, so there's always a chance.

Getting the most out of an Xbox One X will require a 4K television or monitor, of course, but it’s good to see Microsoft offering this extra option.

The Xbox One X is still available to pre-order for $499. It will launch simultaneously around the world on November 7. There’s certainly been plenty of hype around “the most powerful console ever,” let’s hope for Microsoft’s sake it manages to live up to it.

Permalink to story.

Seems like MS and Sony are a little out of touch... seeing as how the least powerful console(s) on the market are the most popular (SNES Classic and Switch). Clearly consumers are more interested in playing good games... Perhaps they should stop spending so much time and effort making more powerful hardware and focus on making good software.

Seems like MS and Sony are a little out of touch... seeing as how the least powerful console(s) on the market are the most popular (SNES Classic and Switch). Clearly consumers are more interested in playing good games... Perhaps they should stop spending so much time and effort making more powerful hardware and focus on making good software.

Exactly this! Though I would also prefer to see them try and make all their games hit 60fps before pushing to higher resolutions.

Seems like MS and Sony are a little out of touch... seeing as how the cheapest console(s) on the market are the most popular (SNES Classic and Switch).
FTFY
Switch isn't even remotely close to being the cheapest, it's actually one of the more expensive console packages, since the base price (which is already quite high) doesn't get you any games nor extra storage.

Just because Nintendo is on their upcycle and made something people actually want this time doesn't mean anyone else should ape them.

I've got my xbox hooked up to 2 displays at the same time so I can play casual games on the TV but competitive multiplayer on a low input lag monitor.
I wonder if the One X can automatically send the right resolution to both displays simultaneously without having to manually switch the display settings each time. I doubt it but it would be nice.

It doesn't manage a 4K native dashboard though. Wut. Also the 4K video support is still kind of spotty, like on Xbox One S.

It’s too expensive. I predict fail. I don’t know if that’s because I’m in Brexit land. People and companies don’t know what tomorrow holds and I don’t think many people will drop £450 on it. And interest rates are going up. So nope. The old console is good enough. My two pennies.

Back