Theoretically, how far could you overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirkon

just theoretically, if you get sufficient enough cooling,
where could you take a processor?
is there a limit for the overclocking?

for example, my C2D is at stock speed right now(2.4), if i had like 100-200 dollar cooling just for the cpu... could i like bring it to 3.6,3.8,4.0ghz?
and have temps stay normal, (40C).

and lets say it gets to 4.0GHZ, will it function close to the lowest quad?

The overclocking ability really rests with th motherboard first, then power supply and CPU. The colder you can run the processor, the more you can overclock

i have a pretty good motherboard, the gigabyte ga-965p-ds3,
it has overvoltage, overclocking, graphics accelerating options, its all there,
and the power supply is a very good one as well, the Enermax Liberty 400w.

now my case temp is 30c, cpu temp is 40c average.

Keep in mind the overclocking will stress all the components in your system. It's better to build a quality system and leave it at stock or minimal OC settings. Don't worry about maximum OC settings. Again this is totally hardware dependent

This is the wrong forum to post this question, however, OC'ing is entirely dependent on 3 things, components, cooling, and voltage. OC will violate all warranties and can destroy your system/ or components. It is never wise to over clock - especially that most modern and new CPUs run fairly fast at stock speed. Back in the day it would take forever to load and compute essential productivity software. Now even low end CPUs can do that fairly fast. So unless you got money to burn or enjoy tinkering with risk - don't do it.

there is almost no limit of overclocking....if you have proper cooling. Some Intel Pentium Extreme editions have a world record of being overclocked to 7.5 Ghz.
Yeh, surely u can overclock ur C2D to 4.0 Ghz easily but with better cooling. I have a cheap mobo and stock cooling so i have OCed a bit only :D. I m running my Pent.D 2.8 to 3.11 Ghz from last 2-3 months and have got no problem. Tested it with stress prime and all. its stable at 3.11.
If you dont beleive then i can post a screenshot too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back