"There are no active mixer devices available" and USB doesn't detect ext. hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am new to this community and this is the first time i am posting.

My computer doesn't show volume control in system tray and Audio is completely gone. When I tried to get that from accessories it gives me a message that there are no active mixer devices available and tells me to go to control panel and add hardware.

Let me tell you what I have done so far. I ran msconfig and found "Windows Audio" and it was okay since there was check mark besides it. Alternately I ran %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc which takes me to the same place and everything seems okay.

Then in control panel - sounds and audio devices - volume tab completely grayed out, on audio and voice tab it says the default device is modem#0 line play back ( I don't know why..!) and same thing for sound recording.

I have been working on this for 2 days but can't figure out. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

And also, none of my USB seems working and doesn't detect any connections like my external hard drive.

Hoping to hear some solution...!!

Thanks..!!

Sometimes, it takes a reformat and reinstall to get things working. Others here will have solutions that will sometimes work temporarily. But the complete reformat and reinstall is the most reliable, we have found.
Do you use a USB printer - scan - fax - copier? We find that there is some sort of relationship with this problem you describe, and certain Epson, HP, and Lexmark multifunction printers and USB failures. In those cases, a total uninstall and removal from the registry, then reinstall from downloads seems to be a good fix. In others, the multi-function printer never works right again.

The only USB device I have connected with my printer is Lexmark 810 series printer. Also, sometimes I connect my external hard drive but it doesn't detect anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back