Thinking about buying a new PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkshirewench

This is my first post on this message board so I hope I'm starting this thread in the right place.

I'm thinking about buying a new PC and my main concern is that I can't afford one with a Pentium processor but that's all I'm familiar with. I've seen one I can afford but it has an AMD Athlon processor and for some reason I've always avoided them.

At the moment I have:
Pentium 4 1700MHz
Windows ME
128MB RAM
40GB drive
Radeon 9800 Pro

The one I'm looking at has:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Windows XP
1024MB DDR RAM (2x 512MB)
400GB (2x200) 7200 RPM Serial ATA Drive
128Mb GeForce FX5200

I'm not a novice when it comes to computers but I'm not an expert either so although I understand pretty much all of the above, some of it does confuse me. What I'd like to know is, would it be worth my buying the new PC for what I want to use it for? I play games occasionally (Hitman, Tomb Raider etc.) but mainly I use my PC for capturing video clips and editing them.

I realise the graphics card is not as good but the one I have now I installed myself without any problems so if I found the new one unsatisfactory I could easily replace it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

i know many other people might post much more detailed responses here, but from my experience, AMD is the top dog in CPU's and has been for awhile. that new comp you're looking at sounds ideal.

Don't be afraid of AMD. I have AMD and INTEL systems. One has advantages in certain applications, the other in different ones. My AMD is being used by the third family member now. 4 years old and never a problem. That looks like a nice set-up. One problem I see right off is you are going down from a 9800Pro to a FX5200. I'd switch those out when I get the new one. The 9800 Pro is a much better, emphasis on much, graphics card. especially if you are a gamer. If you have questions or problems with using the new set-up just post. I'm sure somebody here will be happy to help you out. You are gonna be so happy not using the ME (Monumental Error) operating system anymore, you won't care what CPU you have under the hood! <g>

Thanks!

If I got the new PC and switched the graphics cards as you suggested, would I do it before even booting up the PC for the first time or would I boot it up, get everything set up and then install the new card? (obviously turning it off again first though ;) )

If you are on a budget, have you thought about upgrading in stages?

Anyway, AMD is fine. There is no reason not to with them.

Phantasm66 said:
If you are on a budget, have you thought about upgrading in stages?

Like I said, I'm not an expert when it comes to coputers so would prefer to have a complete fresh start, so to speak. I understand the benefits of upgrading but I've never had the urge to do so (apart from graphics cards)

Phantasm66 brought up a good point.

Your Tiny Tornado has a S754 AMD64 mobo with only 3 PCI-slots. 800MHz FSB, single channel. This is still good technology, but already dated.

At Komplett you can get a kit with Abit AV8 S939 mobo with 5 PCI-slots, AGPx8, Sata, Raid etc., AMD64-3500, 1GB(2x512MB matched) PC3200 memory, 1GHz FSB, Dual Channel, for £340,- incl. VAT
Add the bits for a case, PSU, HDs, DVD-drives and whatever, build it yourself using some of your current components, and it will be (not much) cheaper, but better than the Tiny offering.
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=109697&cks=SPC

I buy all my stuff from komplett.ie, very reliable and quick.

I agree with everyone.

9800 pro beats fx 5200 any day.

socket 754 is dated. AMD is focusing on s939 and the newer one. s939 is compatible with s939 and FX chips. s939 is dual channel. Faster RAM. You could use single channel RAM too. The upgrade path is better.

Find someone with experience to watch you build your PC. AMD64-3000 or faster would be a good start. Look at Antec cases with fans and PSUs.

I also agree with them about using newer components. As for the switch on the graphics card, if the OS is already installed, I would want to fire it up first, then uninstall the nVidia drivers before I made the switch. If you are gonna install the OS, then switch out the cards first. As for the mobo I'm an ABIT freak so I don't have a problem seconding the AV8, although I would spend the extra 10 pounds or so and go with the AV8 3rd Eye.LOL You better hurry up and make up your mind though. If you listen to us for too long, you'll have to steal the crown jewels to pay for it all, by the time we are done!

WOW! I just checked out your home page. Those are beautiful videos. I've got a little tip for you. I'll bet if you had the money, you'ld rather have a wild cat, than an ATI or nVidea card eh? My friend does the heads up displays on TV for NASCAR during the races, that are televised. She was using the Wild cat4 last time I spoke to her, but I'm betting she's stepped up to PCIe.

http://www.3dlabs.com/products/family.asp?fami=9

Those are really expensive, but... Did you know the 9800Pro has the same core as the FireGL XII. Not only that but the 9800Pro can be tweaked to make it a FireGL. This site is very well respected on the web, so I doubt he's put anything up that was the least bit flakey. Anyway if you are gonna be using this for any video editing, check this out.

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=105&pgno=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back