thinking about buying x800 pro, got questions :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sab3r

Hello all,

I've been thinking about buying the radeon x800 pro but I'm doubting if my current system can handle that stuff :angel: .

First thing i'm worried about is the power supply since this thing is... big.
Right now i got 300W power supply, its from A open.
I got a P4 2.8ghz and 2 ram modules both 512mb, also got a DVD burner...

Will 300W be enough, though i doubt it.

Second thing i was thinking about was if the mobo is "competible" with the videocard:
mobo: MSI PT880 Neo, socket 478.
The videocard i have in it now is a GF FX 5600XT 128mb....

Now is suspect the power supply is going to be a problem.
but i wonder if there are any other problems that i might get, so what i'm asking
if i should buy a different mobo and/or power supply.
and if i need to buy another power supply, what would i be looking for?

thanks anyway. :)

I've got that very mobo right in front of me! How odd!

You should be just fine with the motherboard.

But I'd be wanting a new PS if I were you. I tried to run some serious hardware on a 300w not long ago, and the dang thing would'nt even POST most of the time until everything had power and I restarted it a few times.

The RAM is a big power sucker, and you have times 2.

Plus that PS manu isn't the best around. I'd hop onto Newegg and get a 450w or better. I'm running a 550 watt on my hardware, and I have only a FX 5700 Ultra. But the PS only cost like $60 on sale. So they aren't bad.

Incidentally, I am thinking about getting the same card, let us know how it runs will ya!

lol vigilante, same mobo cool :grinthumb
thanks for the info about the PS, i'll go buy one right away.

BTW 550W!! omg, but i'm really excited about buying it, running far cry ultra high
smoothly muhahaha :p.
In 2 weeks or so I can tell you all about how it runs :D

bought a 500W PS for only 55 euro's.

Seems like the system runs better and somewhat more quiet.
It also has this cool goldish look and a fan that you can see through, tight fit though.

Waiting for money to role in........ :zzz:

i get by with power to spare on a 400 watt raidmax, cost me $27 and is a high quality supply. nothing fancy, just a standard 3 fan psu.

Sab3r, you're gonna love that card. I've got the Sapphire version and it flat-out rocks. :grinthumb

in regards to sab3r, an nvidia 6600GT based card would be cheaper and, if the right choice is made, better. that chipset, the via pt880 lags in performance behind intel's i865/i875, thus holding back performance.

Quick questions, do power supplys actually ive better performance? Imean iknew it helped but i thought it was one of those things you didnt really NEED to have a high PS, just otional :suspiciou

You don't need gargantuan wattage, but you do need quality, clean, and regulated power.

If your PS bends backwards when someone flips on the microwave, it's not great quality and your system will suffer.
A good PS has good parts to regulate clean power. I'd say it's an important part. And one that, if not right for the job, can cause very odd behavior that is near impossible to track down and very random.

You are better off with the X800 XL it is cheaper takes about the same power as the X800 PRO and will give you better performance than the X800 PRO as well. !!

BringinHeat said:
You are better off with the X800 XL it is cheaper takes about the same power as the X800 PRO and will give you better performance than the X800 PRO as well. !!

kinda bought it a few mins aggo :angel:

masque, thx for the confidence :haha: , now i'm really excited!

edit: btw masque I ordered the sapphire radeon x800 pro 256mb, does sapphire
do some tweaks it or something? cause i heard its better then a "normal" one.

zephead said:
in regards to sab3r, an nvidia 6600GT based card would be cheaper and, if the right choice is made, better. that chipset, the via pt880 lags in performance behind intel's i865/i875, thus holding back performance.

does it lag allot cause the vidcard i got now in it still (GF FX 5600XT) isn't performing like i think it should.
if its a crap mobo for gaming which i'm aiming for then i'll buy another while i'm throwing money at it.

example: i'm running 3dmark03 (maybe i should get another one) with aa and af off
but when it comes to battle of proxycon it drops to around 5 fps :suspiciou .
maybe its just me but the card should be able to handle this right?

when you get the replacement motherboard, get one based in the i865 or i875 chipset. the intel d865perl is a great board, i recommend it. as far as your video card - the fx5600 isn't cutting edge, but it's adequate for most gaming applications.

thx for the tip, now i at least know where to look for a new mobo ;) .

the FX cards came out in 2003 (I think) so when running 3dmark03 it wouldn't
be able to run it smooth, kinda figures :p .
but the weird thing is is that my older GF 4 TI 4200 64mb isn't that far behind in
score and that was in a totally different pc with 1.6ghz :giddy: and 512mb.
shows that the GF 4 TI is a good card to get, even in these days, my brother
even played nfsu2 on it with low-medium settings, ran great.

anyway thx again :wave:

looks like my card is "under performing", although I don't have the pro version
of 3dmark03, only got 1173 score and thats with AA and AF off 1024x768 res.
maybe its my mobo or something....

the thing about video cards is that different cards using the same gpu differ in performance on accound of the clock speeds of the components.

zephead said:
the thing about video cards is that different cards using the same gpu differ in performance on accound of the clock speeds of the components.

so it could be my mobo, I just want to know this because I want to get
the best out of my new vidcard that'll soon arrive ;) .

btw i'm kinda on a budget on this one, like 150-200 (euro's) if its between there
then i'm fine with, can be a bit over 200 but not too much :rolleyes: .

Thx :wave:

It runs Sweeeeeeet :grinthumb :D.

It totally OWNS like me :p .

I did 3dmark03 again with the new card and the card totally owned 3dmark MUHAHAHA.

anyway thats my review :wave:

Sab3r said:
It runs Sweeeeeeet :grinthumb :D.

It totally OWNS like me :p .

I did 3dmark03 again with the new card and the card totally owned 3dmark MUHAHAHA.

anyway thats my review :wave:

Took me this long to get back to you on the Sapphire question...sorry. Different manufacturers will handle the chipset a little differently. I've noticed Sapphire to be somewhat superior to most others....I've owned a few of their cards.

BTW, glad you like the card. :approve:

In retrospect, what was the new 3Dmark score with the new video? What exactly was the new video you ended up getting?

Hi Vig, it's Faust. You didn't have to came here to ask that 'cause I own an ATI RADEON X800 Pro card and it's blazing HOT! :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back