Thinking of Buying New PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I was thinking about buying a new PSU for my system but I don't know if it is really necessary. I already have a 520w dual +12v rail PSU but my new 7800GS OC isn't putting out ANY video so I thought about upgrading to a 600w PSU would fix the problem.

Here is a list of things the PSU must power:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
AU31 K7M-NF18G (nForce2) mobo
(2x) 1024MB DDR SDRAM gaming sticks
GeForce 7800GS OC 256MB (AGP 8x)
Creative Audigy4 PRO sound card
WD 120GB hard drive
WD 320GB hard drive
DVD drive
CD drive
Floppy drive

My 7800GS requires a minimum of "400w with a +12v current rating of 20A or more" to operate. I don't know the rating on my current PSU. Does anyone think a new PSU would do the trick?

550W run most cards and as yours isn't the most power hungry i can't see that as being the problem. What make is the PSU? and look for its power ratings on the side of it. Maybe its the card it self thats gone.

I would test out other possibilites before buying a new PSU. Like everything connected, graphics card seated properly etc. Unless your PSU really is on its last leg, I would think that would be plenty of juice to run that computer. As asked, what do you have in there now?

Psu

My PSU is an Aspire (now Apevia) which I know isn't a real great brand. As for the card, its a replacement for the one I shipped back. I have tried absolutely everything to get it to work - BIOS settings, mobo drivers, registry scans. Nothing has worked so I turned to the PSU. The card puts out NO video whatsoever so WinXP does not boot and I cannot get into CP and DM. I'm completely lost at this point. The only thing I can access with the 7800GS installed is the CMOS settings and I have had no luck there either. Oh yeah and the card is seated absolutely perfectly and I have checked for broken prongs. Everything is where it is supposed to be. It just will not work.

Go to tomshardware.com and read their tests/reviews of PSUs. They do torture tests from time to time. Their 2006 test was extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back