ThinkPad R60 invisible on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna M

A year ago, I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad R60. I love it to death, but it's got one little quirk that consistently drives me crayz, and I haven't been able to figure out a way around the problem: No matter what kind of network I'm on or where, no one else's computer can see my Thinkpad.

I always make sure I'm using identical protocols and settings as all other computers on the network. I always make sure my workgroup name is the same. I always make sure I have shared folders, and I always make sure that file and print sharing is turned on.

I have no problem connecting to the internet or browsing shared folders on other computers or network drives. But no one can see me for more than a few minutes--I do appear briefly, but only briefly--after I log onto the network (wireless or wired, does not matter).

This is a hassle. I cannot frag for any period of time (again, games do not see me on the network). I cannot set up an Ad Hoc connection. The only way I can do IM over a network is if the client supports messaging directly to a specific IP (such as NetworkChat).

I've tried everything I know how to do...but no matter what, my laptop seems to be stuck in perpetual "stealth-mode." I've played with every network setting in ThinkVantage I can find, with no luck. I have bought a wireless PC card and tried connecting with that instead of the internal WAN or LAN, but it's no different. Always, I can see them, but they can't see me.

I have found other people who have had this problem with ThinkPads, but as yet no solution. Lenovo and IBM tech support insist it's an ID10T issue and won't troubleshoot with me. I can promise you, that isn't the case.

Does anyone have more information about this problem or how I might solve it? I really would like to be able to frag, folder-share and IM with this laptop, it's great, but it's such a waste if I can't have any fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back