This is getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjornd

Experiencing multiple Memory dumps

My computer, running Windows XP Media Ctr, keeps experiencing memory dumps utilizing stop error 0x40000080. From reading previous posts along this same topic, I'm attatching a zip file of the last 5 minidumps: minidump.zip. Please help by pointing me in the right direction. I don't know if this will help, but it seems to dump more often when the room is somewhat warmer than I normally keep it.

My system:

Abit AT8 Mobo
AMD Athlon64 3700+
ATI x1600 PCI-E video card
2 sticks of Kingston 512MB DDR-400

Thanks in advance for all your help. It's really appreciated. :D

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at Rtenicxp.sys. This is the driver for your Realtek NIC.

Try updating the driver, or if you`ve already done that, try using a different driver.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard for getting back to me so fast. That was totally unexpected. :D I'll try that. In fact, I'm downloading updated drivers now. I'm crossing my fingers that this will solve my problem.

Ok, updated drivers and it still happens. The only way I can stop the memory dump from happening is to have no page file. The down side to this is that instead of memory dumps, my computer blanks out and re-boots. If I set a minimum page file size of, say, 2 GB, I still get memory dumps but they happen much less. Just to see if it's the same cause, I'm attatching a new set of mini-dumps. If it is still my NIC drivers, could you offer some alternatives (i.e. what drivers to try).

In the mean time, I remain sort of grounded to reality instead of the virtual skies that I long to see via MS Flight Sim. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

Ray Jornd, Captain
American Airlines Virtual
http://www.aavirtual.com
http://www.incomefun.com

4 minidumps crash at your Realtek nic.

1 crashes with hardware.

Maybe it`s time to consider buying a separate nic card and disabling your onboard nic and uninstalling it`s drivers.

Regards Howard :)

Hmmm, thanks. I'll seriously consider it, especially since they're pretty inexpensive in most cases.

Howard,

Ok, I went out and purchased a NetGear nic. It installed ok and now, while they're waaayyyy more infrequent, I still get dumps; only 2 in the past 24 hours (I used to get several an hour before). What's going on now? I have a copy of Vista Home Basic. Should I seriously consider installing? As always, thanks again.

Ray

The other dump crashes at win32k.sys. This is a Windows OS file in is very rarely the actual culprit.

A hardware problem can and will cause all manner of system crashes.

Ok. Thanks. I did the memtest. I let it run for 15 passes (took a bit over 5 hrs) and received 0 errors.

How many sticks or ram do you have?

If you have more than one, try running your system with just one stick of ram and see if it becomes stable. if it doesn`t, try running with the other stick of ram and try again. If it then becomes stable you`ll know which stick of ram is faulty. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest86+.

Please post any further minidumps.

I have two sticks of 512, non-paired, but by the same manufacturer and same clock speed (DDR400). I'll try what you suggested, but it may take a while since switching to the new nic I can actually use my computer now. :D Proof positive that you're suggestions work! :)

Howard,

I'm still getting mini-dumps. However, these are since switching over to Vista 32-bit edition. I just want to make sure that my suspicions of my video driver are correct. I've installed the correct driver, hoping that I won't get anymore dumps. Please check these out and tell me what's going on. Thanks again.

Your miniduimps crash with various culprits and bugchecks. NETIO.SYS/hardware/2x ntkrpamp.exe Bugchecks of D1/7E/C5/1A

One minidump is corrupt and unreadable. This is often a sign of faulty ram.

None of them crash at your graphics drivers.

I must conclude you have a hardware problem of some kind.

Ram/underpowered psu/mobo etc

You need to diagnose which hardware is causing the problem and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back