Ticking sounds after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help figuring out why my computer makes ticking sounds after I shut it down. I asked a technician at Freys and he told me that it needed a new hard drive. So I went and replaced the hard drive and it keeps making it. In addition to the sound it also has a light that blinks in the front in unison with the ticking sound. It's as if the computer is not turned off all the way. I thought about replacing the case and/or power supply, but want somebody else's opinion before I undertake that. My operating system is Windows xp and it seems to be working fine. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and feel it is fine in that respect.

My CD burner hadn''t been working right also. It would get extremely hot, so I went ahead and replaced that to see if that was causing the problem. Now the light of the burner also blinks along with the light in the front of the case in unison with the ticking sound. Please give me some advice guys. Thanks.

Help us so we can help you. Fill in the "User Profile", top left any page.
Give specifics of your OS and your power-supply as well.

Slightly mystifying.
If you disconnect the PC from the mains, does it still tick? (it shouldn't)
It literally sounds as if the PSU wants to constantly restart but does not have enough "oompfh". Check the small cables from the front of the PC to the mobo, may be loose?
Try and borrow another PSU.
And give out REAL LOUD to that ***** in Freys who made you buy another HD.
Hope you kept the other one!

As an afterthought: some newer PSU-fans keep running for 1-2 minutes after the PC shuts down.
Also, check the energy-saving power-settings in BIOS and in the screen-properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back